Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my first ever Dukoff alto mouthpiece. It's a used Miami D6 clear (plastic) Super Power Chamber. It did not come with a ligature and from what I've heard, the Vibra-Free ligature that was meant to be used with the Dukoffs are not that great anyway.

So, I'd like to see if anyone here has any recommendations for ligature I should buy for this Dukoff. I was able to test it out using a metal Beechler ligature (one that came with a "vintage" Bellite I also recently bought) and I kinda dig the sound (for more contemporary type playing). However, the Beechler ligature is too small for the Dukoff and I was only able to get one of the two screws to partially secure the reed to the mouthpiece (it was too tight to even get the other screw into the groove).

From what I understand, the plastic Super Power Chambers are identical to their metal counterparts (size-wise and sound-wise), but with a bit less of an edginess to them.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just bought my first ever Dukoff alto mouthpiece. It's a used Miami D6 clear (plastic) Super Power Chamber. It did not come with a ligature and from what I've heard, the Vibra-Free ligature that was meant to be used with the Dukoffs are not that great anyway.

So, I'd like to see if anyone here has any recommendations for ligature I should buy for this Dukoff. I was able to test it out using a metal Beechler ligature (one that came with a "vintage" Bellite I also recently bought) and I kinda dig the sound (for more contemporary type playing). However, the Beechler ligature is too small for the Dukoff and I was only able to get one of the two screws to partially secure the reed to the mouthpiece (it was too tight to even get the other screw into the groove).

From what I understand, the plastic Super Power Chambers are identical to their metal counterparts (size-wise and sound-wise), but with a bit less of an edginess to them.

Thanks in advance.
Hi jman. I just picked up the same mouthpiece and the Bonade inverted soprano size ligature worked best for me in the end after trying many others (Rico H lig, Rico standard lig, Rovner Mk3, Selmer 402, Selmer 401, vintage Selmer lig, Dukoff Vibra-free lig, string lig, hose clamp lig)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jman. I just picked up the same mouthpiece and the Bonade inverted soprano size ligature worked best for me in the end after trying many others (Rico H lig, Rico standard lig, Rovner Mk3, Selmer 402, Selmer 401, vintage Selmer lig, Dukoff Vibra-free lig, string lig, hose clamp lig)
Hey sbs17,

Thanks for the response. I will check it out. I've ordered a Rovner SS2M which I've been told also works well with the Dukoffs. How are you liking your SPC plastic?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey sbs17,

Thanks for the response. I will check it out. I've ordered a Rovner SS2M which I've been told also works well with the Dukoffs. How are you liking your SPC plastic?

The SPC plastic is great, full of harmonics, great for playing overtones and altissimo. The mouthpiece design seems to contribute to occasional squeaking though.

As for ligs,

I was playing around with different ligs yesterday and found I didn't like the Bonade as much as the Rico standard but they are close. The Selmer ligs (both 401 and 402) do not fit at all. The vintage Selmer lig fits but not too well. The Dukoff Vibra-free lig is not bad. The Rovner Mk3 works but dampens the vibration too much for me. The Rico standard lig (Rico Ligature by D'Addario in soprano size) has the most minimalist design allowing for the best vibration of the reed. It is durable, the metal (nickel plated) is on the harder side, so it doesn't bend too easily. I prefer a lig with softer metal so it can conform to the mouthpiece and not slip, but out of all these ligs this one seems to work the best.

The Rovner SS2M looks like it should work too.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The SPC plastic is great, full of harmonics, great for playing overtones and altissimo. The mouthpiece design seems to contribute to occasional squeaking though.

As for ligs,

I was playing around with different ligs yesterday and found I didn't like the Bonade as much as the Rico standard but they are close. The Selmer ligs (both 401 and 402) do not fit at all. The vintage Selmer lig fits but not too well. The Dukoff Vibra-free lig is not bad. The Rovner Mk3 works but dampens the vibration too much for me. The Rico standard lig (Rico Ligature by D'Addario in soprano size) has the most minimalist design allowing for the best vibration of the reed. It is durable, the metal (nickel plated) is on the harder side, so it doesn't bend too easily. I prefer a lig with softer metal so it can conform to the mouthpiece and not slip, but out of all these ligs this one seems to work the best.

The Rovner SS2M looks like it should work too.
I just got the Rovner SS2M today and tried it out with the SPC plastic. Couldn't recommend it more. The fit is perfect, the reed vibrates freely and the tones really project. I may even start using it with my Beechler Bellite in lieu of the current metal ligature (it's one of the older Bellites). I recommend you try it out -- I got mine for $18 so it's not that big of an investment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts