Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

I purchased a Brilhart Ebolin 4 baritone sax mouthpiece on eBay, and think it may work well, if I can find the right ligature to go with it. It’s fairly dark, so I would like to use a metal ligature to add some edge. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
866 Posts
What are you using now?, a metal two screw ligature? I don't think a ligature is going to brighten up the sound all that much, I'd try different reeds like a Unfiled Jazz Select. I like the Rovner light ligature too, that could be an inexpensive way to brighten up things a little.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,430 Posts
Rovner Star SS-3R. The Star Series is a very lively/reed-friendly ligature. I'm using one on metal tenor and it really makes a difference. My old Rovner is getting old so I wanted one as close to it as possible since it has been discontinued. I picked the Star and was amazed how much freer it plays and how it damps out much less of the high frequencies. Since I got it the old one, although in excellent condition, is now on standby duty. I use three different Rovner types on alto, tenor and baritone because of different mouthpieces - I mean, they all have different requirements for damping.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve tried a Rovner Versa ligature and a Rico H ligature on the Brilhart. I like the Rico better, as it brightens the response some, but it is barely large enough to accommodate the Brilhart. With a thicker than average reed, it wouldn’t fit at all. Maybe I can find a larger Rico H. I may also look into a Rovner light ligature; thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts