Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am working with a student for his bari setup and we just bought him a used BL3 from a fellow SOTW member. What he needs now is a ligature to fit the BL3, seeing as he has come from slim stock plastic mouthpieces. What do you recommend as a ligature for this mouthpiece? I don't need him to buy an expensive Optimum or M/O ligature but rather, something reasonable and simple. I am unsure about Rovners, they didn't fit my tenor TL3 well at all. What does the forum recommend?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nothing?

For what it's worth, I tried my Rovner Dark (HR size) on the BL3 and it was a very poor fit. The ligature had a tendency to be "sloped" towards the bottom of the table, the bottom of the ligature touching the table but the top not. This would make a wobbly seal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,596 Posts
try getting an old Vandoren's master lig off of saxquesst.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
The traditonal 2-screw lig that came on a Yanagisawa HR bari piece fits on my BL4. I would think any 2-screw for a full-size bari mouthpiecepiece would fit.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The traditonal 2-screw lig that came on a Yanagisawa HR bari piece fits on my BL4. I would think any 2-screw for a full-size bari mouthpiecepiece would fit.
I think we're going to go with the Rico H lig. Responsive, inexpensive, great cap. Win-win-win.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The Rico H lig won't fit that mouthpiece. I ordered one awhile back to try, and it wasn't even close to fitting. it I know they're expensive, but the BG traditional ligatures work perfectly with that mouthpiece.

Garrett

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Rico H lig won't fit that mouthpiece. I ordered one awhile back to try, and it wasn't even close to fitting. it I know they're expensive, but the BG traditional ligatures work perfectly with that mouthpiece.

Garrett
I redirected him to the Vandoren Masters ligatures, they have some left over on SaxPlus for a reasonable price. He's on a tight budget, hence my resistance to recommend a BG. Plus, I've had good experiences with the Masters myself, so all the better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts