Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone who's used this mouthpiece offer any recommendations for suitable ligatures for this make and model. Any help would be appreciated as Ed seems unavailable at present.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I use a Vandoren Optimum on mine and it works well.

Rhys
Hi Rhys
With all respect Rhys...the Optimum is a very poor fit. when you look at the clamping bars you will see that they pull in ...in a very uneven way. So what happens is, the plate is forced down at one end. The Pillinger has a very different taper to the Vandoren M.P's
It will work, but not Nr as well as one that fits.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,285 Posts
Rayburn Music in Boston sells this mouthpiece and they recommended a Yamaha two screw lig. that fit perfectly. If you were in Boston, I'd suggest you call them, but...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,093 Posts
Hi Rhys
With all respect Rhys...the Optimum is a very poor fit. when you look at the clamping bars you will see that they pull in ...in a very uneven way. So what happens is, the plate is forced down at one end. The Pillinger has a very different taper to the Vandoren M.P's
It will work, but not Nr as well as one that fits.
I have experienced that with Optimum ligs on some mouthpieces, particularly on baritone, but not on my Pillinger tenor pieces.

I don't know if the Pillinger pieces vary a lot, but the Optimum fits well on my Bronzite NYT piece. It also fits well on my Pillinger HB (LInk-style) piece in his SHR material. I've always liked the way it sounds too !

Rhys

PS I've checked back and I bought this Pillinger piece from Ed in 2004. It's actually the NYT40 model, which doesn't appear on his website. His emails to me say that the NYT is "a basic, standard New York Style ( deep scooped out chamber) of the kind of design popular in the late 1950s." The NYT40 is "closely modelled on a slant signature Link from the 1940s. It's not much different from the NYT but probably does produce a slightly bigger, fatter and richer tone in my opinion." Maybe that means that the NYT and NYT40 have different external shapes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks for your input. These are great mouthpieces with excellent facing and overall quality way above their price.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I've checked back and I bought this Pillinger piece from Ed in 2004. It's actually the NYT40 model, which doesn't appear on his website. His emails to me say that the NYT is "a basic, standard New York Style ( deep scooped out chamber) of the kind of design popular in the late 1950s." The NYT40 is "closely modelled on a slant signature Link from the 1940s. It's not much different from the NYT but probably does produce a slightly bigger, fatter and richer tone in my opinion." Maybe that means that the NYT and NYT40 have different external shapes.
Hi Rhys

Thank you very much for this info. I think that Ed must of had a different shape on his older M.P's. Most of the Pillinger tenor M.P's I have worked with (NYT) (NYT/HB.) (NYT Sul,bronzite) have all been Prob no more than 5 Years old. They all have the same external shape.
Also your NYT40 sounds lush ! you must let me take a look at that one day.

Kind Regards

Ricky

P.S.
Bonzo
(These are great mouthpieces with excellent facing and overall quality way above their price.)
They are indeed little works of Art.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,382 Posts
On my NYT I play a borgani flexitone (replica of the old selmer magnitone).
rovners work fine.
I tried some NYT with a more traditional external shape, but I must confess that the slimmer ones play better.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a Ripamonti and the Borgani copy of the Selmer magnitone; what I don't like about these is that the placement of the reed depends on its thickness.... I also use a couple of Rovners (amongst them the very sci-fi looking Rovner platinum), and a Woodstone, which last one I like best because it enables a tight fit and it looks good...

·
Registered
770 Posts
I use a Francois Louis lig for my Pillinger NYT Bronze (7**) and HR TNY285 mouthpieces. The lig is marked "T" and it fits perfectly, I'm not sure but I think it must be size Tenor L as it doesn't fit the standard Link HR pieces. For those you'd need a FL size Tenor XL.
My Pillingers are about 10 years old. I like them very much although they are no more my main pieces.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts