Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm playing a conn 12M with an old vintage otto link slant. (refaced to 120 tip)
It's a great combo, I love it.
The problem is that the mouthpiece came with a silver old two screw ligature (I don't think it's the original ottolink one) that is a little too big.
I tried it on a vandoren B95 and it fits perfect.
The vandoren mouthpiece body is a little bigger than the link.
Which ligature can fit my mouthpiece?
selmer 2 screw?
francois louis pure brass (which size)?
Here in rome the stores have almost nothing to try for baritone...I could order a ligature, but I have to know the one that can have a perfect fit.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I use a selmer 2 screw on my slant but I think I had to take a little material off of the inner section of the ligature so that it would fit. I did this by taking the screws off and hitting the two open ends on my belt sander. Don't buy one from the famous woodwind online store. They ship them loose in a plastic bag. They arrive flat as a piece of paper, if you're lucky.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you, I usually don't like fabric and leather ligs, so I'm thinking about
selmer 2 screws
francois luois XL bar
vandoren m/o

I tried a rovner in the past from one of my students (I don't remember the model), but it deadened my sound cutting a lot of sparkle in the high register.
I'm a medium dark bari player, so I don't want to cut the high frequencies down!

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
I tried a rovner in the past from one of my students (I don't remember the model), but it deadened my sound cutting a lot of sparkle in the high register.
I'm a medium dark bari player, so I don't want to cut the high frequencies down!
They don't cut any high frequencies if they fit and you have them tight enough. Most people only tighten fabric ligatures as much as they would a two screw. The problem is the elasticity of the material effectively makes them too loose so an extra turn of the screw is best.

I use a slant sig baritone (as well as my PPTs which are nearly identical in profile)

I have used the original ligature, a generic 2 screw, and a Rovner. There is no difference whatsoever. Nice sparkle.

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Pete's right about the Rovners. I use them or the French BG brand on bari all the time. There's no problem with the tone if you tighten them up properly. If you can't find a bass clarinet ligature, try an alto sax one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,024 Posts
I quote Pete.
In most of cases... people who have "deading problems" with Rovner (even Rovner models which open/brighten up the sound) are due overtigheting of the screw.
Then it's a matter of reed sealing (on the table of the mouthpiece).

People use to use reeds with convex table (and the table of the reed easily tends to become convex when it gets "wet") and have the lig to press against the top of the reed to compensate that convexity.
When compensated... you have a strong enhancing (more volume, less resistance, more sustain).

Rovner's fabric ligs are designed to "stop" the reed against the mouthpiece with a very little pressure and if you have some warping of the table of the reed they simply don't work well... an you need to overtight the screw.
Doing this... you miss sustain, brightness... and you'll have more resistance

The deal, so, is not to overtight... but just to fix the convexity of the reed table.
That's it... you just need a blank sheet of paper (printer paper) and less than 15 seconds of lapping the reed on the sheet of paper.

---
Rovner makes a lot of ligs... with different design and different sound delivery.
The habit to consider the Rovner lig a "deadining sound device" is mostly with the Rovner "Dark". If you need the feeling of a metal lig... you just need a ligature with "metal" against the reed.
There are other models which make the sound thicker, bigger and brighter, think "Versa", "Versa X", "Legacy" and the "Platinum".
(Of course you also have the "MkIII" which darkens the sound much more than the "Dark"... you have just to be aware of that).

The cool thing of Rovner's is they have ligature sizes, specific for almost every mouthpiece available.
Actually I don't remember well if the baritone Slant have the same external size of a modern Link (which fits standard tenor ligs).
It should be that the baritone Slant are in the middle between the standard fat baritone size (think Vandoren V5/Java/Optimum) and the standard slim baritone size (modern hard rubber Otto Link, Meyer etc etc).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts