Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow cats,

Sorry for my ignorance on this matter. I realise that this issue has been discussed a lot in the past but can't seem one that discussed this for the 10mFan pieces.

I am enjoying the Robusto a lot and I am using it with the Rovner Star Series for a while. Yesterday I had the chance to try out the Rovner Versa and the sound opened up a lot and sounds bigger than the Star Series. It was no question I was going to change the ligature.

But...
I was stuck between the Versa and the Vandoren Optimum. The Optimum also sounded great but the fit wasn't the best (anyone feel the same way?). But the sound that came out with the Optimum on was great and almost the same as the Versa.

I read hundreds of post for the past 2 hours of reading the ligature section and concluded that most of the players here hate the Rovners and favour the Optimum a lot. My mistake was buying the Versa (it was cheaper) before I read the posts here.

Now I have a chance to buy a lightly used Vandoren Optimum for half the price of the new Optimum. Should I get the Optimum and sell the Versa instead?

Please do advise. God Bless All of You!

·
Registered
478 Posts
It's really up to you. I've been playing an Eddie Daniels for ten or eleven years now, which is what the Versa is now. I've always been satisfied with it. If your versa makes you unhappy, get the optimum if it will make you feel better. I'm sure 99 if not 100 percent of everyone won't notice the difference either way.

I always tell people that if I don't get a gig because my ligature isn't good enough I should practice more.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,608 Posts
I was stuck between the Versa and the Vandoren Optimum. The Optimum also sounded great but the fit wasn't the best (anyone feel the same way?). But the sound that came out with the Optimum on was great and almost the same as the Versa.
I'd go with the Versa. Fit is the most important characteristic with a ligature. I've been using the Rovner ED (same thing as the Versa) on my metal Robusto and it works great.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
If you are playing the HR, I suggest a Bonade ligature (I prefer the inverted version). Not sure about the metal, I suspect even the alto size would be too big. (Maybe Mark could weigh in?) An alternative is the Rico H lig; there are more sizes available so you can probably find one that fits. These are both much less expensive than Vandoren, and work extremely well.

Both of these are IMHO better than a Rovner, I find the Rovners too often leak, as the single screw doesn't always allow a perfect fit. As JL says, fit must be good, and especially so with Rovner.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Go with the sound! You never go wrong following your gut instinct. Personally, I prefer the Vandoren Optimum over the Rovner, but even better for me is the FL Ultimate ligature. Remember, it's about what you think is best for the sound you want to hear, and the sound you want to project. Be blessed!

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
It's not clear from your post whether you're playing the metal or HR, but I can confirm that the Vandoren is indeed a tight fit on the HR Robusto. It is not so tight that it can't be used, in fact it sounds very good IMO. But it is tight enough that it can't be adjusted much and must be used in a position relatively close to the vamp.

FWIW, I've experimented with a number of ligatures on the HR Robusto, and I can't say for sure that any of them were noticeably better than the relatively inexpensive Rico H. The Theo Wanne Enlightened *might* be a tiny bit more open sounding, but costs 2-3 times as much.

·
Premium Member
26,249 Posts
I really like the marc jean ligature on both the HR and metal 10mfan pieces. They both fit like a glove--but I'm sure either of the other two work also.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am using the metal Robusto. I find that The Rovner and The Optimum gives me the same amount of openness.

The fit on the optimum is fine but a little tight but the optimum gave me a brighter and bigger sound. Should I purchase the Optimum and keep both?

·
23,608 Posts
An alternative is the Rico H lig

Both of these are IMHO better than a Rovner, I find the Rovners too often leak, as the single screw doesn't always allow a perfect fit. As JL says, fit must be good, and especially so with Rovner.
I'm speaking of the metal Robusto. I have both the Rico H and Rovner ED. They both work great and equally well. They both fit very well. The horn sounds the same with either of them. The Rovner seems to make the reed feel a bit more responsive, but that's so subjective I can't really rate it; perhaps it fits slightly better. The Rovner is more convenient to use with one screw and allows a bit more adjustment. It certainly doesn't leak and it does allow a perfect fit. Again, this is the Eddie Daniels Rovner, same thing as the Versa.

As hak points out, the Marc Jean is another excellent option. But if I read it correctly the OP already has the Versa Rovner lig. No reason to go running around trying a bunch more.

·
23,608 Posts
The fit on the optimum is fine but a little tight but the optimum gave me a brighter and bigger sound. Should I purchase the Optimum and keep both?
If you want to spend the money and purchase both, go ahead. What I can pretty much guarantee you'll find when going back and forth is no real difference, aside from having to cram on the Optimum if it fits too tight. But then again, if your perception is that one is better than the other, use the 'better' one. The difference from one reed to the next is much greater than any difference between two ligs that fit properly.

p.s. I'd be very, very surprised if it's true that the Optimum gives a "brighter and bigger sound."

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you want to spend the money and purchase both, go ahead. What I can pretty much guarantee you'll find when going back and forth is no real difference, aside from having to cram on the Optimum if it fits too tight. But then again, if your perception is that one is better than the other, use the 'better' one. The difference from one reed to the next is much greater than any difference between two ligs that fit properly.

p.s. I'd be very, very surprised if it's true that the Optimum gives a "brighter and bigger sound."
Thank you JL, you've been a great help for me. I am keeping the Versa for now. thanks a lot everyone

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
So i probably just dont know, and maybe it is fairly common knowledge on here. But is the robusto, and maybe other 10m fan mouthpieces, a slightly different size than most others?

Regarding ligstligligature. Try many until you find one that holds onto the mouthpiece very well so that you can easily adjust pitch. And one that helps you feel your setup the way you would like.
I am one of those people who are the 1 out of 100 who can tell the difference i guess.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,521 Posts

I agree with JL.

I only have 20 or 30 ligs here. Sometimes I pull one out and use it instead of Rovner for kicks. I find nothing fits as wide a variety of mps as well. As for sound? I think I could convince any listener that the Rovner is the bast and that the Rovner is the worst. The tiniest repositioning of the reed makes a bigger difference to my ears. How much moisture is in the neck makes more difference to my ears. A couple of swipes of sandpaper on the reed makes a bigger difference to my ears. I'm sure that most people's results vary from this. At least without a blindfold.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you everyone! God bless you. Finally settled on my Rovner Star as it is darker. The Rovner Versa is bright and it is not my liking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts