Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I bought a gold-plated Bari metal mouthpiece for my vintage soprano and it plays surprisingly well! Very versatile, from mellow subtones to screamingly loud notes, love it.

Problem is that I can't find a ligature for the mouthpiece. Even the ligature that came with the mouthpiece is a bit too loose and a bad fit. Any recommendations what I should get?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,036 Posts
You can always glue some thin cork under the top side of the ligature to make it slightly smaller or get a fabric type lig.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Do you know whether the mouthpiece diameter is on the large (e.g., Selmer, Dukoff, Ponzol) or narrow (e.g., Link, Yanagisawa) side compared to other metal soprano mouthpieces?

Because if it's on the larger side, I have an new (unused) Francois Louis Ultimate ligature (size M-Sop, for metal pieces) that may work. I bought it a while ago hoping that it would work for a very narrow HR piece, but the ligature was too narrow for the piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,017 Posts
Though not a fan of Rovners on tenor, I do use them on soprano. When I played a Selmer metal classic for soprano, I used the Rovner dark soprano/metal size (1MS). Worked fine. Checking Rovner's site however, they don't list a model for a Bari metal soprano mouthpiece; so best to check with them first.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know whether the mouthpiece diameter is on the large (e.g., Selmer, Dukoff, Ponzol) or narrow (e.g., Link, Yanagisawa) side compared to other metal soprano mouthpieces?
Its definitely a very narrow metal mouthpiece.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
I have one of these Sop mpcs. Mine says BARI HAWK II mine is stamped #8

I broke the 401 you see from too much adjusting. I had used clear tape to pad it.

I am back to using the one screw inverted pot metal lig that came with it. I've padded that one too.

Please forum..what size Rovner would work ???

I ordered a small Rov soprano lig from WWBW but it was TOO SMALL..I'm watching hopefully we get some suggestions

BTW this is a great mpc I use it on my Selmer Sop, mine was also tweaked and refaced by southwest sax.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Though not a fan of Rovners on tenor, I do use them on soprano. When I played a Selmer metal classic for soprano, I used the Rovner dark soprano/metal size (1MS). Worked fine. Checking Rovner's site however, they don't list a model for a Bari metal soprano mouthpiece; so best to check with them first.
Hello Grumps, I think the BARI metal might be slightly bigger than the Selmer metal. Why I know, I think that is the same Rovner I ordered, it wouldn't work..too small. I had to return it.:(

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Rovner has a size for every mouthpiece. Try contacting them and saying which size you tried and you need a larger one. Each size has a range that overlaps the neighboring sizes. So you may even need two sizes bigger.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Rovner has a size for every mouthpiece. Try contacting them and saying which size you tried and you need a larger one. Each size has a range that overlaps the neighboring sizes. So you may even need two sizes bigger.
Well I was certainly surprised that the Rovner I got WAS too small..as the BARI is very thin..I got it from WW/BW I did return it but made no attempt to exchange or source another. I went back to the original padded up Pot-metal single-screw inverted. Actually I will contact Rovner. I'd like to try one on this mpc.

MOJO THANKS that's the info I need, like I said I will contact them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have a Bari gold mouthpiece and use a Small Francois Louis Ultimate ligature on it. If you measure it , they can tell you which one would fit. It's kind of a pricey lig for my humble budget, but I'm happy with it.

I do like the Bari Gold mpc, too!

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
Sounds like you tried a Rovner XS size that only fits slim Runyon sop sax MPs. They may have a new number or labeling system now. I have a bunch of different sizes but have not purchased any lately. I like their Light design but their Dark design is their main product in every size. I just got one for Contrabass Clarinet that had slits cut in it to make it act somewhat like a string ligature. I like the concept better than the original Dark solid design. These Rovners are inexpensive, don’t scratch the mouthpiece, and operate with one screw.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
I went to Rovner official website. They have a huge list of stuff.. They DO list the BARI brand Sop mpc.....Then they ask for your choice, rubber or metal.

I punched metal and it says NADA available. :(

I see somebody selling a FL ......….I don't recall what a Francois Louie even looks like:|

·
Banned
45 Posts
I went to Rovner official website. They have a huge list of stuff.. They DO list the BARI brand Sop mpc.....Then they ask for your choice, rubber or metal.

I punched metal and it says NADA available. :(

I see somebody selling a FL ......….I don't recall what a Francois Louie even looks like:|
I’m not so sure that lookup guide is accurate. I’ve put several mpc’s in that are standard size and it says no match.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
I’m not so sure that lookup guide is accurate. I’ve put several mpc’s in that are standard size and it says no match.
OK I better try to email them direct and see if they are aware of the Bari HawkII metal.

·
Banned
16 Posts
I just bought a ring for my metal soprano. Will let you know how it goes. Pure copper. Less the 10 dollars. Jewlery is cheaper than ligs man.

·
Banned
16 Posts
Update. My ring came. It works great. I put it on soprano first. Real good. A bit of adjustment and it fit right in the side flutes and held the reed firm but with great vibration. I then moved it to my metal selmer piece for clarinet. Even better. That was my favorite mouthpiece before now its better (i play clarinet first). It will stay there now.
You can use hair bands as a lig btw. Always have a backup. Fits everything. Put 2 or 3 wraps and your good to go.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Does anyone have a ligature suggestion for a metal Warburton A-series soprano mouthpiece?
Rovner's product suggestion tool does not list Warburton, Warburton referred me to Rovner, and Rovner may be on an extended vacation (no response over two weeks). The Rovner offerings seem to be:
1MVS: slim metal soprano (is this Metal Very Small?)
1MD: most metal soprano sax (is this Metal Dukoff?)
1MS: most metal soprano sax (is this Metal Small?)
1RXS: most small soprano sax (is this Rubber Xtra Small?)
1RVS: most rubber soprano sax (is this Rubber Very Small?)
Thank you in advance!

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
I have solved he problem using a #401 Selmer silver 2 screw lig, I used a thin fitted piece of clear plastic bottle or food container (try different thicknesses) inserted into the lig.

It's a perfect fit with the #401 and almost invisible to boot.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Update. My ring came. It works great. I put it on soprano first. Real good. A bit of adjustment and it fit right in the side flutes and held the reed firm but with great vibration. I then moved it to my metal selmer piece for clarinet. Even better. That was my favorite mouthpiece before now its better (i play clarinet first). It will stay there now.
You can use hair bands as a lig btw. Always have a backup. Fits everything. Put 2 or 3 wraps and your good to go.
Wow, you can see it vibrating in the photos!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts