Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I was wondering if someone could help me. I play a runyon XL 8 on my alto with 2.5 plasticovers and a rovner light lig. However the sound can be a bit too piercy at times. Would something as simple as buying a rovner dark lig help to make the sound a bit less piercy?
Thanks in advance
-Benji

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
Probably more efficient to switch reed to e.g. La Voz.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
saxdude48 said:
Hey
Wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I was wondering if someone could help me. I play a runyon XL 8 on my alto with 2.5 plasticovers and a rovner light lig. However the sound can be a bit too piercy at times. Would something as simple as buying a rovner dark lig help to make the sound a bit less piercy?
Thanks in advance
-Benji
Yeah, don't use Plasticovers. That's the brightest cane reed you can buy. A Rovner dark lig won't darken the sound, but it will merely muffle the vibrations. That's a really bright set-up, especially if you're using the Runyon spoiler, and adding Plasticovers is like adding gas to a flame. Unless you're playing mostly rock/funk music and need to compete with electric instruments, that's going to be a difficult set-up to control.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm actually not using the spoiler, but I'll try other reeds I guess. I had a box RJS 2H unfilled, but it seemed most of the reeds were bad in that box, and I was getting really sick of cane reeds. But I do have a legere on the way, so hopefully that'll help something.
JMax I have a question. You said a Rovner dark won't darken the sound, but it will muffle the vibrations. What exactly do you mean?
Again, thanks for all the help
-Benji

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
this is my set up that is use and it will strip paint! i go a step further and use a bg tradition lig . you wont be able to tone down the plasticovers no matter what lig you try. best try cane reeds . i am totally hooked on plasticovers and havnt bought reg cane in years but i play r&roll only these days. xl + plasticovers isnt hard to control -its just extremly bright. its actually a far superiour set up than a dukoff . much easier to play!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks for the advice.
I am still wondering what JMax said when he meant "a Rovner dark won't darken the sound, but it will muffle the vibrations". I always thought a dark would darken the sound, and a light would give a slightly brighter sound.

·
Registered
8,980 Posts
A forum will often just give you several opinions. You need to process it all and decide what you want to try for yourself.

I find a Rovner dark often does sound darker by muffling the high frequency vibrations. But changing a reed can matter more than changing a ligature.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
MojoBari said:
I find a Rovner dark often does sound darker by muffling the high frequency vibrations. But changing a reed can matter more than changing a ligature.
That's exactly what it will do. But it doesn't really sound darker, it's stopping the edges of the reed from vibrating, which muffles the higher harmonics that come from there. This is a bad thing in my opinion because it's a bit of a trick - the sound is less clear, not necessarily darker. You can try an experiment...try playing with a regular ligature, and then immediately switching to the Rovner Dark. It will sound muffled. Some people think that it makes them sound darker, I think it makes them more muddy. (Some people like it and the muddiness becomes part of their sound. Go figure.)

Ligatures shouldn't affect sound very much. They SHOULD affect articulation, and help seal the reed efficiently, while still allowing it to vibrate freely. The best way to do this is through minimal contact with the mouthpiece, and holding the reed by the section that vibrates the least (which is the middle of the "butt" end).

Rovner Darks are supposed to mimic string ligatures, but the do a poor job of doing so due to the fact that the material that they use is too dense to properly act like string. If you want something like a Rovner, try the Vandoren String ligature, the Consoli Dark, or even the BG Super Revelation (but buy some oil if you get that one. I developed a callous on my hand from trying to tighten the stupid thing.). Those are all fabric ligs that work a lot better than the Rovner Dark.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts