Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering about the possibility of having a thread on here which is devoted to which ligatures fit which mouthpieces. I purchased a couple different baritone mouthpieces recently and found out that there doesn't seem to be a standard for a conventional 2 screw ligature that fits them all. I am still struggling to find a good fit for my soprano mouthpieces.

I know there is the google search feature which helps get answers, but would anyone else find this useful?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Yes, I would find this useful. I wish there was a way anyone could edit a post, so there would just be a single post (or a single post for each brand of mouthpiece, perhaps), and it would be editable anytime by anybody who wanted to add a lig that would fit a specific mouthpiece.

Actually, something like that would be possible on wikipedia. Is it possible on SOTW?

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ericdano ... I have had posts on here for several months for one of the mouthpieces(Phil Barone Vintage Soprano). I did get a suggestion and got the ligature. When I slipped it on the mouthpiece it looked great, add a reed and it won't fit. Another I (Vandoren BL3) managed to use the search feature to narrow it down, and after emailing several people found someone who could definatively answer it for me. It seems that Yamaha mouthpieces you have to buy a Yamaha ligature to fit them, but I found that out by trial and error. Just to give a few examples from the last few months.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I don't think saxophones and their various pieces of equipment work that way. Ligatures aren't that difficult to figure out, but some of you seem to want each issue totally resolved for you before you venture forth and put down your money.

If you haven't already discovered that there is no ONE answer for all of your questions, a special section for THIS issue will just take up more space and end up being as useless as most of the equipment questions and answers here.

Folks, some things you just must figure out for yourselves. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
Aw, Dave...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave

I respectfully disagree. I have had posts on here for several months for the PB soprano piece. There has only been one person who ventured an answer. I tried that option and although it intially looked like it would work, it doesn't (3rd different ligature I have tried and I paid for all of them, so I did put down my OWN money). The Morgan that I have has slightly different dimensions and the standard 2 screw lig that works for it doesn't actually even hold the reed on the PB. The Cannonball mouthpiece ligature before that had slightly different dimensions (the first one which came from the horn actually didn't fit and I got a replacement from Cannonball) and it wouldn't fit the Morgan or the Barone.

So Dave, I am trying to figure this out. Respectfully I wish to say, I am not sure why you are exhibiting hostility about this. I thought the forum was supposed to be a place to exchange ideas and information. If you don't belive that it would be helpful to have a thread devoted to this topic all you need do is say that, rather than be insulting about "ligatures not being that difficult to figure out" and accusing others of not trying to figure things out on their own. If you believe that there are so many useless questions and answers, then don't take the time to read or answer then.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,962 Posts
So Dave, I am trying to figure this out. Respectfully I wish to say, I am not sure why you are exhibiting hostility about this...
It's not hostility, it's a recognition that there exist many hundred mouthpieces, several hundred more ligatures, and hoards of reeds that vary in thickness as well. A list won't do it. It would take a spreadsheet of several layers - and then you are still subject to misinformation such as you cite in your personal experience.

Quite obviously, Dave made the mistake of giving you an answer that you didn't like.

Go for it.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
ericdano ... I have had posts on here for several months for one of the mouthpieces(Phil Barone Vintage Soprano). I did get a suggestion and got the ligature. When I slipped it on the mouthpiece it looked great, add a reed and it won't fit. Another I (Vandoren BL3) managed to use the search feature to narrow it down, and after emailing several people found someone who could definatively answer it for me. It seems that Yamaha mouthpieces you have to buy a Yamaha ligature to fit them, but I found that out by trial and error.
That shouldn't take trial and error to find out. I think you'll find that if you use the mouthpiece manufacturer's lig it will fit their mouthpiece. So the lig for a Yamaha would be a Yamaha, for a Vandoren it would be (wait for it...) a Vandoren.

For a mouthpiece from a manufacturer that does not also make ligs, the best thing is top ask them, so for a Barone, the best thing would be to ask Phil Barone, and likewise for a PPT, you could ask me (though my site has a list of known ligatures that fit, one of them being a Marc Jean who makes one specifically due to popular demand).

Speaking of whom, any mouthpiece you have that is hard to find a ligature for, you can ask Marc Jean and he will make one that fits:

http://www.musiquedemarc.com/en/ligatures.html

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pete,

I appreciate the answer. I tried to ask Phil Barone on the site and didn't get a response. Since it appears that my question of having a reference for mouthpiece and ligatures is a terrible idea maybe one of the mods can simply delete this thread at my request.

·
14,268 Posts
What Dr G said . . . And Pete Thomas, too. I have boxes of mouthpieces and ligatures that I've picked up over the years. I even glued a little piece of material on the inside of one ligature to make it fit. I figured it out for myself YEARS before SOTW.

This is like another thread here where someone wanted to know what would fit her old Holton saxophone, but she failed to provide the critical info for us, even after being prompted. It goes on and on as if many are totally helpless in this modern world. If you are in Timbuktu and can't find a local music store to try ligs (most have a selection), use some string and make a ligature.

"Should I go up one-half in reed strength?" Why don't you try it instead and let us know the results?! No hostilty, just trying to point out how those questions make me wonder what we are growing these days. DAVE

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave,

The intent to the thread was to ask if people thought it was worthwhile to try to have a reference of which ligatures people have found work on which mouthpieces. If that is a bad idea I am willing to say ok. It came out of frustration of having 6 soprano ligatures which don't fit either of the 2 mouthpieces I have and having 5 baritone ligatures of various sizes which wouldn't work on a couple of bairtone mouthpieces I have.

Sorry to have troubled you all.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,952 Posts
Pete,

I tried to ask Phil Barone on the site and didn't get a response.
Ok, maybe that was a bad example, but you get my point I think.

Since it appears that my question of having a reference for mouthpiece and ligatures is a terrible idea maybe one of the mods can simply delete this thread at my request.
I don't think it's a stupid question at all, there are probably many people out there wanting to know the same thing but too scared to ask, now they/we can all benefit from the answers so far. I would not be so arrogant as to assume my answer is any way bound to be correct or unchallenged by somebody with more knowledge. Wait and see, we may all learn something. In spite of the obvious answer of the same make as the mouthpiece fitting, it is good to know of some alternatives.

e.g. it is said that a Selmer 404 fits an Otto Link. This is a good and useful piece of info I learnt on here, as the stock Link lig can be a bit of a crap ligature. Why they still use that design and sloppy machining is this century's biggest mystery.

·
14,268 Posts
Looks like i'm on a roll now. Look, I apologize if I offended anyone, and will admit that my original post may have not been on point. To be on point, No, I don't think such a list is a good idea. It would turn into another which-lig-is-best thread, for sure, to say nothing about the almost endless combinations.

But Pete brings up an issue about many wanting the same answers but are afraid to ask . . . how helpless are we, guys?! Docrob, have you taken the pieces in question to a music store and tried differnt ligs? With all the pieces I have, only a few wouldn't fit one of my ligs. And those were easily solved. DAVE

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave,

I just moved from San Antonio and taking anything into a music store there resulted in them looking at me like I was an alien and then saying well we have Rovners and everything else we sell with the mouthpiece and we can't take those ligatures out to sell (yes even in a city of over a million there are not always good options for this stuff). So short answer, past that no I haven't. Since I have moved, I haven't really had a chance to get into a store becuase my work schedule starts before most open and by the time I get off I have other obligations (kids stuff) which has tied me up in the evening. So I was hoping to be able to order something. I did ask Joe from Soprano Planet for a suggestion and he gave it his best shot. It is a bit too small. I have emailed him to see if he has other ideas. I guess it will just have to wait until the work schedule allows me to swing by somewhere.

And thanks for your opinion on the list.

Rob

·
14,268 Posts
Rob: That sort of retail mentality boggles my mind!! I've been in many music stores in my time (55 years of saxophone playing now) and have never experienced that. Amazing! Were you able to try any Rovners? Not MY first choice but they'd work. DAVE

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave,

I bought a Rovner. I am not sure it is really the correct Rovner though. I had Sam Ash and 2 local music stores to work with. I know when I go in and ask what soprano ligatures they have and they look back at the wall and start reading for the word soprano on the wall that I know more about this stuff than they do, so relying on any information I get from them won't help. I always get the standard "but we can order you anything you want". I can do that for myself, I don't need to come into the store to do that. I haven't been playing as long as you have (only about 20 years), but this was the first place I have lived where I couldn't find at least one store with someone who knew enough to answer questions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts