Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to buy a new ligature, because I use my standard Yamaha that's is not very good because it cut's the reed vibration, the srews sometimes get loosen alone, etc. I would like to buy a ligaphone ligature because I heard they were good and they let the reed vibrate.
Any recomendations ?
Regards
Pedro

P.S.-A ligature both for classic and jazz.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,985 Posts
I got one of these things in trade. I used to keep it around when I was experimenting with a lot of different sized mouthpieces, because it was most flexible in this regard. Then when I realized that it made a surprisingly good match for an RPC bari mouthpiece, I used it for same for a year or so. Then it got stripped and was useless.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,867 Posts
I had one for some time, and liked it. Then I sold it. It's just a lig after all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got one of these things in trade. I used to keep it around when I was experimenting with a lot of different sized mouthpieces, because it was most flexible in this regard. Then when I realized that it made a surprisingly good match for an RPC bari mouthpiece, I used it for same for a year or so. Then it got stripped and was useless.
Grumps: The problem you had with your lig was one year later it was useless. So if I buy that lig used, I have a large probability to have a stripped lig, shortly after buying it ?

·
25,985 Posts
Grumps: The problem you had with your lig was one year later it was useless. So if I buy that lig used, I have a large probability to have a stripped lig, shortly after buying it ?
I actually got mine used in a trade. Whatever padding there was between the clamp and table was gone when I got it. So it had some use prior to me receiving it. It sat in a drawer for at least a couple of years, used only for an occasional play test of a mouthpiece received new or in trade before I started gigging with it. I know from the mouthpiece I got it with in trade that it can leave grooves on top of a hard rubber piece as well. It's just not a well thought out design, though for a time I got some use out of it.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I have one as an emergency ligature for testing a mouthpiece that is an odd size. It works well but does not look like it will hold up to full-time use. Grumps confirmed my suspicions. So if you want to use one, have a spare handy.

·
25,985 Posts
...I would like to buy a ligaphone ligature because I heard they were good and they let the reed vibrate.
Any recomendations ?
You can look into the Francois Louis Ultimate ligature: http://www.francois-louis.com/ultimate.html They claim to let the reed freely vibrate. I've gotten good use out of them on alto, tenor and bari for years now. They can take a bit of time to get used to setting them up and adjusting your mouthpiece on the cork once you have them on. I also don't like the added ping I get from them on all mouthpieces; such as my rollover tenor piece with which I prefer a standard two screw. So you might not dig them for your classical work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts