Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow forum-goers,

I recently got my Link back from a reface and wanted to pamper it with a new ligature. A lot of players on this forum swear by the Selmer 404 (3 band) ligature for their Links on tenor, so I bought the alto version. Just got the ligature today and it doesn't fit with the reed on :(

Any suggestions for how to fix or alternative ligatures to try?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Hey I just noticed this post and I'm sorry to see you didn't get any replies. I assume you're finding the Selmer ligature too small for the Link.
I just went down to my studio and tried the 404 (tenor model) on my Florida USA Alto STM, and it seems to fit quite well with a reed. I use the original Link ligature on my alto STM. Sorry I can't offer you my 404 because I use it on my Phil Barone tenor piece.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I'm pretty sure most ligatures that fit tenor STMs would also fit on Alto since they're the same circumference, so that might be something to research. I know a guy who used a Rico H ligature on an alto STM, and I think Vandoren Optimum ("For Metal V16") should fit too since I used one on a tenor STM way back in the day and it was great. Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
while it's fresh in your memory - I'm chasing a ligature for a Jawo metal tenor sax piece - diameter of this piece is a touch over 21mm. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Glenn

PS: I have attached a Jawo HR piece with a Brass shank. I had this 'touched up' by Gabriel Vatavu in Brisbane Australia. The table was not as flat as I thought it 'ought to have been and he opened it up 'just a little' (he knows I'm not a power player) and it plays great. As such I thought I'd give the metal piece a shot but....without using rubber bands (next step) I can't attach a reed. Now I know I got some in 'ere somewhere.....

Glenn

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
while it's fresh in your memory - I'm chasing a ligature for a Jawo metal tenor sax piece - diameter of this piece is a touch over 21mm. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Glenn
Hello Glenn

I found 3 ligatures in my drawer that fit a 21 - 22mm mouthpiece:

1. Berg Larsen (metal alto saxophone)
2. Vandoren Optimum
3. Ligaphone (I do not know if they are still available)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
thanks to you both - I'll endeavour o hunt them down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts