Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like my Lawton mouthpiece (it's one without baffle with a dark and resonant tone). What I don't like about it is the ligature. It's screw digs into the back of the reed. It also sometimes loosens itself, which can be quite annoying on a gig. I tried the ligature from another lawton I have, but it is to small and does not fit. Ligatures for Guardala sized pieces are to small. The Vandoren Optimum Ligature is to big.

Can anyone recommend another ligature that will fit?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,002 Posts
Tenor ?

I have something like 25 Lawtons, SATB, and love them, including their ligatures. I have found that the ligs aren't always interchangeable and I guess there may have been minor variations over the years in terms of the dimensions, or it could just be tolerances of the rails vs the lugs on the ligatures.

I have never had the screw dig into the back of the reed. I have experimented with gluing in a thin sheet of cork onto the lig plate so that cushions against the reed. You can use the same sheet cork that instrument repair technicians use. You don't want to do the lig up super-tight, but I have never had issues with it loosening.

Lawton experimented with a rubber block in place of the curved plate on the lig, but that was rare and I'm not sure what it achieved in terms of sound or secure holding. He advertised it as "Rubber clamping plate".

My Vandoren Optimum V16 is too big for the Lawton tenor pieces. There must be many Rovner-style fabric ligs that will fit on a Lawton - I've got one but there aren't any size markings on it.

Rhys

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,003 Posts
You might try a Rovner Versa. I don't know for certain, but these fit a pretty wide variety of mpcs and do a good job.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried putting different Stuff on the plate of the ligature. Felt and mouthpiece patch did not work for me (felt like it was influencing the response), but works great (I took the back end of an old reed and used another reed wrapped in sand paper to sand it down and into shape). It feels like it plays better than ever, but that's probably just because I took ages to get it thin enough.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts