Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had a chance to visit two very different, but very impressive, tech shops in Sacramento.

The first one I went to was a small new shop opened by an experienced and very well-reputed tech, Jeff Alkyre. It may be a small shop, but holy cow, he has it well equipped with everything from a massive ultrasonic tank to a long three-tech capable bench fully stocked. Jeff is a killer alto player and is a total horn nerd too... when I came in to his shop he was working on an anniversary model full-pearls Super 20 (drool), and he had parts horns hanging up that included some nice vintage horns (like a probably-salvageable The Martin). Really good guy, and I look forward to seeing his work....

The second one I went to was the brand new location for Tim's band instrument service. This is the new shop owned by the former NAPBIRT president and master tech, Scott Manderville. REALLY impressive, with a beautiful showroom out front and the biggest tech shop in back I've ever seen. I really hope it works out for him - he's a great tech and a really good guy. Judging by the number of cases in the racks in the shop queued for service, it looks like he's got a LOT of business, which is great. I'd say it looks like the bread-and-butter of his repair business is school horns (guessing here), but Scott does fantastic work on pro horns too.

Anyways, just thought I'd share - if you are in Northern Cali, it's worth checking both these shops out. Looking forward to hearing others' experiences as well.

Cheers,

Pete

·
Registered
414 Posts
Great! I can't wait to check them out when I get back to Cali next week! Oh, and for people using the search function, it's actually Alkire with an 'i'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
3,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoot, I knew that... thanks for correcting me, Ramsey.... you going to do any playing while you are in town?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts