Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some thoughts and ideas I wanted to put out there.

I was thinking the other day whilst going for a run,
'mmmmmmmmm...what did we actually do for mouthpieces before ebay??'

When I was at college, if I wanted another mouthpiece I had to go and look in a local store where the range of mouthpieces was not great but one could buy a nice vintage piece for not much if they were available. As it happened, I had to be content with what I had or could buy new. It meant I did much more practice and less pondering of what I could change in my set-up.
Now, looking back on all this, I have also noticed that my set-ups have come full circle, back to what I played on each horn when I was doing the most amount of practise on it. Funny that.

My mind then ventured back to one of my best teachers, whose advice to me upon finishing my degree was "get a horn that works, get a concept of sound, find a mouthpiece in the ballpark of that concept and then go away and practice for 4 or 5 years and stop complaining about mouthpieces." Funny that also.

Then I remembered another teacher who said, "If you want to change your sound, change your record collection." Very funny.

It is nice to know I have stopped kidding myself after a few years of ebaying.

Incidentally, I find all this hoo-hah about Theo Wanne's new mouthpiece very funny. It seems that its just another variation on the same theme. Also incidentally, my tenor mouthpiece that is made by seemingly little known Australian, Mark Spencer, has what appears to be every bit as 'true' a 'large chamber' as Theo's mouthpiece, has a lovely baffle that is not obtrusive in the sound and is completely hand finished with the absolute finest quality of work. Pretty much the same concept, but no hoo-hah.
For this reason I find all this AMMA business to be all hoo-hah.

If someone owned a time machine they could buy 5 or 6 'boutique' mouthpieces that they liked, play each one exclusively for two years, then record themselves. After that, hop in the time machine and go back to the start and play the next mouthpiece, repeat the 2 year process.

I wonder, after all 5-6 mouthpieces have been played and recorded, how much difference there would be between them??

Just some mad ramblings from my run.................

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Back in the dark ages (before 1980) there were music stores that stocked different brands of mouthpieces in different facings and you went in, they gave you a few and tried them out. Now....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Benny said:
Then I remembered another teacher who said, "If you want to change your sound, change your record collection." Very funny.
There was life before ebay? what are records? :D

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Carl H. said:
Remember when the principal put stuff in your permanent record?:twisted:
Now they call it the Cume (cumulative) Folder.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Carl H. said:
Remember when the principal put stuff in your permanent record?:twisted:
No, but you clearly do:D

Where I'm from it was the headmaster:shock:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
bluesaxgirl said:
Headmaster. What a name.
The principal at my school would prefer 'she who must be obeyed without question'.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
Really? I had two different high schools, one where the principal changed out about every year (and still is, from what I gather), the principal was referred to (by us students, in private) by the affectionate name of "The Colonel", due to his striking resemblance to KFC's mascot. The real tite was Dean Greene. The laast high school I went to (and graduated from, finally!), the principal was just Mr. Morosi.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
ianhart said:
Really? I had two different high schools, one where the principal changed out about every year (and still is, from what I gather), the principal was referred to (by us students, in private) by the affectionate name of "The Colonel", due to his striking resemblance to KFC's mascot. The real tite was Dean Greene. The laast high school I went to (and graduated from, finally!), the principal was just Mr. Morosi.
I mean the school where I'm presently employed as a teacher.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
Canadiain said:
No, but you clearly do:D

Where I'm from it was the headmaster:shock:
Where I'm from (Detroit) it was the prison warden...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
hakukani said:
I mean the school where I'm presently employed as a teacher.
Ah, now I get it. My mom is a teacher, the principal is most definitely one who must be obeyed without question. She (the principal) has these little things she calls "pink slips", but they aren't for cars :evil:. Thankfully my mom has tenure...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts