Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:DWoo! first post!:D

Has anyone tried out this brand of saxophones?
They're apparently the first makers of a taiwanese sax
I searched and found a thread about it but it didn't have any info. They don't seem to ship to the US yet judging by their website
http://lcsax.com

·
Registered
105 Posts
You cannot go wrong with a Lien Cheng saxophone. Lien Cheng was the first person to start building saxophones in Taiwan. He was a trumpet player and a big fan of western style music. In 1947 he started manufacturing saxophones by hand drawing the parts of a friends saxophone that was burnt in a house fire. This was the start of the Taiwanese saxophone manufacturing and was based in the small township of Houlie (pronounced Holy) Taiwan. Houlie became a saxophone manufacturing mecca and swelled to 20 manufacturers at its peak manufacturing 1 out of every 4 OEM saxophones in the world. Since about 20 years ago 16 of those manufactureres has either left Houlie or have gone out of business due to the increased competition from mainland China. The Lien Cheng factory still remains in Houlie and maunfactures one of the 3 highest quality Taiwanese saxophones. I personally visit Houlie often and my company Saxophone.com (www.saxophone.com) has manufactured it's saxophones in Houlie since 1999. Here is a link:
to a short video we made in the Lien Cheng Saxophone Museum. You can also see the video on our home page www.saxophone.com in the flash video playback section. --Garrett--

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,530 Posts

I searched and found a thread about it but it didn't have any info. They don't seem to ship to the US yet judging by their website
If I am not mistaken they look like the Phil Barone N.Y. saxophone. B:cool:

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,530 Posts
You cannot go wrong with a Lien Cheng saxophone. Lien Cheng was the first person to start building saxophones in Taiwan. He was a trumpet player and a big fan of western style music. In 1947 he started manufacturing saxophones by hand drawing the parts of a friends saxophone that was burnt in a house fire. This was the start of the Taiwanese saxophone manufacturing and was based in the small township of Houlie (pronounced Holy) Taiwan. Houlie became a saxophone manufacturing mecca and swelled to 20 manufacturers at its peak manufacturing 1 out of every 4 OEM saxophones in the world. Since about 20 years ago 16 of those manufactureres has either left Houlie or have gone out of business due to the increased competition from mainland China. The Lien Cheng factory still remains in Houlie and maunfactures one of the 3 highest quality Taiwanese saxophones. I personally visit Houlie often and my company Saxophone.com (www.saxophone.com) has manufactured it's saxophones in Houlie since 1999. Here is a link:
to a short video we made in the Lien Cheng Saxophone Museum. You can also see the video on our home page www.saxophone.com in the flash video playback section. --Garrett--
Thank you Garrett.

This may be something you can not do but I thought I would give it a shot.

Some background first. I have been champion a certain line of saxophone lately from Taiwan, and have enjoyed doing the research to find out more about Houlie and its sax manufacturers without actually flying to Taiwan.

In your opinion and keen close-up observations which of the three or four Houlie manufacturers you mentioned are best (lets just assume that Sax.com are #1), and which make "boutique" horns for the US market?

Secondly, do you think mainland China is coming up in the world of professional saxophone manufacturing and how long until the Chinese push the Taiwanese aside?

I am not a reseller or have any plans to be, just a person doing research for his own use.

Thanks in advance. B:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I knew all about Houli anyway but wasn't sure if Lien Chang saxophones were as good as the others (judging by the questionable translation on their site). I'm currently looking for a pro sax for under 2000 I've considered TK Mel and may consider this when they start shipping to the US. anyone know of any dealers so I can see prices?

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,530 Posts
Thanks, I knew all about Houli anyway but wasn't sure if Lien Chang saxophones were as good as the others. I'm currently looking for a pro sax for under 2000 I've considered TK Mel and may consider this when they start shipping to the US.
What do you mean when...you can buy them direct from the U.S. dealer , Terje Odden in Houston Texas.

You can get a top of the line T.K. for less than $2000.

B:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,184 Posts

they come with the most beautiful leather case on the market GL!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,530 Posts
.....They don't seem to ship to the US yet judging by their website http://lcsax.com
But they do seem to have a presence in Belgium - for US readers that's quite a bit west of China ;) And probably much less of a language barrier.

http://www.lcsax.eu/?page_id=175

Contactgegevens:

OMC - LC SAX Europe, Brugge - Belgie
Tel: +32497555585 - E-mail: [email protected]
Thanks for the website but it has no content other historical information. I wonder why they have not added pictures of actual product?

That said, if someone lives in the U.S. then buy from an established dealer like Terje Odden of T.K. Melody or others suggested.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,058 Posts
Thanks for the website but it has no content other historical information. I wonder why they have not added pictures of actual product?

That said, if someone lives in the U.S. then buy from an established dealer like Terje Odden of T.K. Melody or others suggested.

modman - I posted that Belgian info more for the benefit of potential buyers this side of the pond - being from within the EU, it's

a) more accessible, and
b) tax/duty free...

·
Forum Contributor 2017
8,530 Posts

modman - I posted that Belgian info more for the benefit of potential buyers this side of the pond - being from within the EU, it's

a) more accessible, and
b) tax/duty free...
I understand but I wish that they had more up to date information about product. Oh well.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
[/QUOTE]

B:cool:[/QUOTE]

Click onto the English version of the website. There are some great pix there.

Pretty horns.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, I knew all about Houli anyway but wasn't sure if Lien Chang saxophones were as good as the others. I'm currently looking for a pro sax for under 2000 I've considered TK Mel and may consider this when they start shipping to the US.
What do you mean when...you can buy them direct from the U.S. dealer , Terje Odden in Houston Texas.

You can get a top of the line T.K. for less than $2000.

I was referring to the Lien Changs when I mentioned the shipping to the US and whatnot.

·
Registered
1 Posts
These horns are great. I actually play 2 of those. A tenor and alto. Very sharp price and good horns. I know the European dealer, Karel, he is from my country, the lovely Belgium. He has a site too: www.lcsax.eu
I mailed him about this thread. He'll be checking out here soon!

·
Premium Member
74 Posts

they come with the most beautiful leather case on the market GL!
You might want to know that this case (sellingprice) normally cost 822 euro!!
We currently offer this in a very interesting package deal (only) for the first 15 buyers.

Leuk om hier trouwens taalgenoten te zien :)

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
wasn't sure if Lien Chang saxophones were as good as the others (judging by the questionable translation on their site).
Well, how is your Taiwanese these days :D ?
Not many people in Taiwan speak english. But they do their best. And the main importance is the quality of the horns, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Héhéh :D Yeah, still work in progress - sorry, give me a few more weeks.
English version will be online soon. As a real chauvenist we wanted to do the dutch version first :)

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
.....They don't seem to ship to the US yet judging by their website http://lcsax.com
But they do seem to have a presence in Belgium - for US readers that's quite a bit west of China ;) And probably much less of a language barrier.

http://www.lcsax.eu/?page_id=175

Contactgegevens:

OMC - LC SAX Europe, Brugge - Belgie
Tel: +32497555585 - E-mail: [email protected]
Yeah, inside EU less problems with customs - those guys can be a real pain in the ...

1 - 20 of 102 Posts