Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dropped and broke my trusty Brilhart 5* piece yesterday and wanted to take this opportunity to consider alternatives. I'm playing a 1927 Conn New Wonder / Chu Berry alto and looking for something that will work well for combo and solo work, mostly with my 1920s-30s combo.

I know from experience that this horn / my embouchure call for a large-chamber piece -- modern small-chamber and/or high-baffle pieces warble for me on the bell notes, and intonate sharp on this horn. Besides, I'm looking for a darkish vintage sound. For the moment, I dug a Rico Graftonite A5 out of the drawer and it plays well (actually, it's more focused and intonates better than the Brilhart did), so I'll stay with it if I don't find something I like better.

Looking for something with a similar facing, around .080" -- the Brilhart 5* is .077 and the Graftonite A5 .080.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a Conn NWII alto from 1925 and have had the same experience with mouthpieces. The best match I have found is a current production Morgan jazz piece, the large chamber model. I also have an older Morgan Excalibur , as well as a Phil Tone Intrepid, both of which work well too

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,710 Posts
Thanks tombg,

The Intrepid does work nicely with older horns and has a dark core and nice color and texture. Its got a link like chamber but configured differently so its not even close to dull and lifeless. It can be made darker or brighter...to the players preference. There are a few sound clips here: https://phil-tone.com/alto/intrepid

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks tombg,

The Intrepid does work nicely with older horns and has a dark core and nice color and texture. Its got a link like chamber but configured differently so its not even close to dull and lifeless. It can be made darker or brighter...to the players preference. There are a few sound clips here: https://phil-tone.com/alto/intrepid
Those clips sound nice! Dark and solid with just a hint of edge. I'm guessing those are from a modern horn, so sound would be a little darker on a 20s Conn. Will definitely consider one!

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I have owned this particular vintage alto before, and if you want a large chambered piece, you won't do much better than a nicely faced Brilhart hard rubber. They match the Chu altos extremely well and, intonation wise, are spot on for me.

I have a 257,xxx silver 6M and my 10mfan Daddy-O pairs great, with excellent intonation as well. I think it is a medium or medium-large chamber.

The Chi altos are very underrated vintage horns, enjoy it!!

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
123 Posts
had good results with Selmer Super Session D and even better with Mouthpiece Cafe Espresso #7 - NWII 237xxx. With the espresso blowing more freely.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
My holy grail event on my chu alto was a Ponzol HR.

I like lots of mpcs, but the horn just lit up all over with that one.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
How about a Meyer? They come in small medium and large chambers. I can't say anything about the New Wonder but a Meyer medium chamber plays extremely well on my 6M.

You can get pretty much any kind of tone you want out of a Meyer except the super dark Rascher sound.

If you don't want to sort through several to find the one that meets quality standards, there are numerous Meyer copies being made today, as well.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're a half hour from Dave Hoskins (Junkdude music) over in Pickerington, OH who carries the Morgan line of mouthpieces .
Yep, I know Dave well -- I haunt his shop frequently and have bought and sold with him several times. I was just looking at his stock and considering test-driving a Morgan, or one/more of his used pieces. Actually, what prompted this inquiry was the Link Tone Edge 7 HR that I saw pop up on his site since it fits my specs -- but I've since seen a bunch of reviews warning me away from that piece as overly stuffy. Mostly, I just wanted to get some sense of what other options are out there.

Totally different application, but he has a number of Vandoren V16 A7M's right now and curious how they will work on my "modern" alto (90s Buescher 400) for contemporary and section lead stuff. But for that, I have a modified Carlsbad Brilhart 4* (Erik Greiffenhagen opened it to .090 and I added a putty step baffle) and it's hard to beat. I played that next to a cat with a Yamaha alto and a Jumbo Java and had no problem matching him in projection. it's too radical for my NW (playable, but blows really wild and sharp) but works great on the Buescher. I push it with a street brass band (4-6 trumpets, 3-4 bones, and 1 alto sax--me) and it never lets me down.

Ha, when I bought the NW it came with a Dukoff Hollywood, which was TOTALLY unplayable on the NW. It also came with a WWCo Meliphone Special B4, which is a DREAM for legit playing on the NW. Works much better on that horn that an S80 C*; smooth and buttery from bottom to top, intonation spot-on, no hint of warble on the bell notes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about a Meyer? They come in small medium and large chambers. I can't say anything about the New Wonder but a Meyer medium chamber plays extremely well on my 6M.
Thx -- I tried a friend's Meyer 5 lg chamber a few years ago and it did indeed play well on my NW.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I wouldn't recommend this particular one...not sure who refaced it but it looks a bit rough.
Agreed, a definite pass.

Another interesting option -- I dig vintage WWCo pieces and I'm bidding on a Dick Stabile alto piece right now. If I win that, I might send it to Erik G (he's worked on several of my pieces) to see if he can open it up and add a little rollover baffle. I use a similar WWCo Meliphone B4 on that same horn for legit playing and love it.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I came across a Steve Broadus "Perfect" which, while not nearly as open as you'd require, plays warm and buttery on my 236xxx. They are around and not very expensive. Another vintage choice would be a WoodWind Co. But all would need refacing for you.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I came across a Steve Broadus "Perfect" which, while not nearly as open as you'd require, plays warm and buttery on my 236xxx. They are around and not very expensive. Another vintage choice would be a WoodWind Co. But all would need refacing for you.
Funny you should say that. I'm bidding on a WWCo Dick Stabile alto piece right now. If I win that, I might send it to Erik G (he's worked on several of my pieces) to see if he can open it up and add a little rollover baffle. I use a similar WWCo Meliphone Special B4 on that same horn for legit playing and love it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I came across a Steve Broadus "Perfect"
Just curious -- everyone slams them, but have you ever tried a Goldbeck metal piece for alto? The local brass & wind shop had one of the 30s-vintage art deco/fluted models on their counter and I actually liked it on my Buescher 400.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Just curious -- everyone slams them, but have you ever tried a Goldbeck metal piece for alto? The local brass & wind shop had one of the 30s-vintage art deco/fluted models on their counter and I actually liked it on my Buescher 400.
Sorry, no.
They were around when I was a kid in NY. I may have tried one but I have never gotten along well with small faced/big chamber alto mouthpieces. WW B6 was the first I took serious when I got a nice 6m with it!
The original mp for the 237 was in the case. I think it measures apx .046.
I think the Broadus 3 is .060. A 4 or 5 would be interesting to open up.

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
The Broadus, Links, and Morgan are all good choices for a large chamber.

I have a gorgeous Early Babbitt hard rubber original link 5 for sale if that interest you. Just email me or contact me through PM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts