Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
I'd guess European...a part of the octave mechanism (the horseshoe piece) sorta looks like an early version of what Hammerschmidt was doing in the '50's, but it is inverted, and nothing else pops out at me as being signature of that shop...

..fully keyed...has fork Eb. That octave mech is a crazy one when you look at it in the neck pic...

keyguard feet style = European....

it's a pretty good puzzler there, mate..

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd guess European...a part of the octave mechanism (the horseshoe piece) sorta looks like an early version of what Hammerschmidt was doing in the '50's, but it is inverted, and nothing else pops out at me as being signature of that shop...

..fully keyed...has fork Eb. That octave mech is a crazy one when you look at it in the neck pic...

keyguard feet style = European....

it's a pretty good puzzler there, mate..

The seller in England thinks it is from the 30ties and imported from the USA , it blows like a Conn , he says..
The low notes dont come out easily so there is work to be done..
What would you give for it ?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Is the name actually Lewin Bros? I get quite a few hits for saxes with that name.

Some were made by Martin in Elkhart, some by Pierret in France. (No Conns so far.) This has a French look with the rib mounts and the leaf shaped post feet.

I see a number 23 in the engraving which could be 23 Wardour St, one of Lewin's London addresses.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the name actually Lewin Bros? I get quite a few hits for saxes with that name.

Some were made by Martin in Elkhart, some by Pierret in France. (No Conns so far.) This has a French look with the rib mounts and the leaf shaped post feet.

I see a number 23 in the engraving which could be 23 Wardour St, one of Lewin's London addresses.
Yeah probably , the guy has other typos in his ad ..

You would be a good P.I. 😁

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,998 Posts
Really not worth much at all...even in full, overhauled, great playing shape maybe $450-500usd tops. If it needs tech work, I would not pay more than the equivalent of $250usd.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Most of the Lewin Bros. in UK are Martin stencils and very good players. Lewin Bros. were indeed a well respected sax emporium in London back in the day - mainly pre WW2.
Dallas and Lafleur imported Conn horns to UK and Dominions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts