Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old tenor 6* level-aire with condition issues, and am looking to replace it with something that has similar tone qualities (on the bright side, but not too thin, and capable of high volumes). I am one of those players that seems to find most mouthpieces too stuffy and limited when pushed hard.

Therefore I am interested in trying out an SR tech mouthpiece which seems to get good reviews from people like me, but I am unsure which model to order, the "fusion" or the "pro". If anyone has experience with both the level-aire as well as either of the SR's, I would love to hear from you.

Thanks!

Bob

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Having played a Level Air on tenor for decades and then moved on to more free blowing mouthpieces... I've got to say just about anything is going to seem less stuffy and limited when compared to them. I never tried a SR Tech Fusion but did sample the Pro when I was in the market. A quality mouthpiece that will certainly give you more than a Level Air.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I actually have 3 level-aires and only one plays very well ( one of the early ones)

Bob

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
I played them on alto and tenor and thought they were fine until experimented with other mouthpieces. After not using them for a year or two, when I tried them again I wondered how I was ever able to play them.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
The Fusion has a baffle profile closer to that of the Level-aire but the smallest tip opening it comes in is .108 which is likely to be much larger than your present 6*.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Someone once measured my level-aire at about a .105, so I'm guessing I will be able to adapt to a 108.

Thanks for the info on the profile, that's exactly what I needed to know.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts