Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago I bought a antique lacquered PMXT 66R Tenor. I am now looking to move on from the stock Mauriat mouthpiece. Im an advanced musician and love getting to grips with new kit!

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

P.s I have a sliver plated yanagisawa mouthpiece for my 901 alto so I am tending towards another metal mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,761 Posts
What kind of sound are you hoping to develop?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am very fond of the darker and softer tones; the Mauriat is powerful so I can afford to not have a mouthpiece that would lend the sax a more cutting tone. I play a range of music but I most play Jazz.

·
Registered
591 Posts
For a metal piece my first bet would be a Otto Link Super Tone Master. The floridated link by morgan fry or any refaced modern model should do the job, for a reasonable price.
If you'd consider hard rubber, I'd recommend a refaced Otto Link by Phil-tone for example. The other pole, where most players find their mouthpieces are vintage Selmer Soloists. They're a bit more expensive though.

Ah yeah I recommend not to look too far, these are the models that would work for most people for the music you've mentioned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. :) Do you know any good shops for mouthpieces in Valais or around Geneva? Which shops do you use in Zurich?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Thanks for the advice. :) Do you know any good shops for mouthpieces in Valais or around Geneva? Which shops do you use in Zurich?
Hm, I'm not sure because I stopped buying mouthpieces new awhile ago. I only buy on ebay or on this forum. The best shop for a good selection of high quality mouthpieces in Switzerland is Inderbinen in Buchs. But there might be others too. If you want to really spend money on a vintage mouthpiece, I can give you the address of a good refacer near Bern, who has a massive collection.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yes he has. But the refacing bit isn't mentioned since he's also a very accomplished player. http://www.donatfisch.ch/ But mind you his prices are higher than usual and with the Franc being so strong at the moment..

I play a modern Otto Link Tone Edge refaced by Brian Powell on tenor. Such a mouthpiece shouldn't cost more than 200$ and I could be anything you need. Just a classic design.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you very much for the advice, Ill do some hunting on the mouthpieces mentioned and will make a decision after trying as many of them as possible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.