Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alto is puzzling me, hard to get an image of the LH table. Buescher is a reasonable guess....

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'd guess the alto is a true tone Buescher. The octave key on the neck doesn't look like the one on an aristocrat and looks a lot more like what you'd see on a true tone. Also where the bell meets the bow the seam looks like what you'd see on a true tone. But I'm just guessing of course. The tenor from the neck brace looks like a new wonder II, or could be a transitional. Might even be an earlier new wonder series I. With the quality of the video it's difficult to be sure.

·
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Myeah, I keep trying to freeze the vid when I see the pinky table appear, but I haven't been able to nail it yet....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Love John Tchicai! especially on tenor. I guess it could be a True Tone, but isn't it an earlier New Wonder alto?
It might possibly be a Conn New Wonder with a New York neck (no microtuner) but the ring of the octave mechanism for the New York neck is much lower on the neck than the one you see in the video. For that matter it could be a King H.N. White model alto, one of King's early horns. Heck, it might even be some kind of stencil. It could be a Martin Handcraft for that matter. I read somewhere that he played Martins and Conns because he didn't like Selmers, so I'm thinking it might be a Martin now. I just can't tell from the video. I'm not sure why any of this matters any way since he'd sound good what ever he played.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It might possibly be a Conn New Wonder with a New York neck (no microtuner) but the ring of the octave mechanism for the New York neck is much lower on the neck than the one you see in the video. For that matter it could be a King H.N. White model alto, one of King's early horns. Heck, it might even be some kind of stencil. It could be a Martin Handcraft for that matter. I read somewhere that he played Martins and Conns because he didn't like Selmers, so I'm thinking it might be a Martin now. I just can't tell from the video. I'm not sure why any of this matters any way since he'd sound good what ever he played.
I'm more convinced the alto is a Conn, or close stencil relative. Looks like a Mercedes low C guard, the octave key extension, tenon screw, and lyre holder all look like a Conn. Finally, it looks like he has the neck off axis from the bell. Which maker rotated the keys that encouraged players to swing the neck out of position to align the touches better? Was that Conn? And statistically, weren't there like 4 times more Conns than any other make?

·
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure why any of this matters any way since he'd sound good what ever he played.
You just iterated why it matters (at least to vintage sax nerds like myself): most people consider old splitbell horns anachronistic and not really usable in contemporary contexts; they are dismissed often.

The broadcast is from '68, these horns are from the 30's, one perhaps predating 1930...and these guys are both rippin' it.

I just find it interesting....especially to consider Gato was playing a Chu so near his breakout years.....

·
18,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Love John Tchicai! especially on tenor. I guess it could be a True Tone, but isn't it an earlier New Wonder alto?
It could be. Not all NWI's had microtuner necks. And John's octave stem is longish, as were those belonging to the NW models....

·
Registered
88 Posts
You just iterated why it matters (at least to vintage sax nerds like myself): most people consider old splitbell horns anachronistic and not really usable in contemporary contexts; they are dismissed often.

The broadcast is from '68, these horns are from the 30's, one perhaps predating 1930...and these guys are both rippin' it.

I just find it interesting....especially to consider Gato was playing a Chu so near his breakout years.....

I only meant I don't really care much which brand people prefer. Personally I like the New Wonder series I altos. They have good intonation, a great sound, and the light action they have let's you zoom around quite nicely. I had a gold plated series I and it was really fun to play and lovely to look at. I still have an early Super 20 tenor and its a great horn as well. In fact I like vintage and modern saxophones but I'm more interested in the music than I am the equipment. Still, I agree that its absurd to dismiss the vintage horns as some of them are excellent saxophones and they do what they're supposed to do, which is to have fun with music.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts