Sax on the Web Forum banner

Let's do another "unknown" monsters thread!

18K views 85 replies 59 participants last post by  altosax93 
#1 ·
IMHO, we don't do enough of this on SOTW: let everybody know about a monster player folks may not have heard of (maybe a "local" guy from your area).

This guy is not exactly "unknown," or from my town, but he's from Canada, and he's a monsterplayer!: Tenor/Soprano/Flute player Andre Leroux.

Musical instrument Human Wind instrument Reed Saxophonist
I've never met him, but everything I've ever heard him play is just amazing. Unbelievable tone, taste, technique...and amazing versatility. The guy just totally knocks me out!

http://www.archambault.ca/mp3/andre-leroux-corpus-callosum-ZIK15000559-en-pr

See less See more
1 1
#6 ·
name that comes to mind ...not unknown,but I certainly don't hear enough about him Tony Campise Austin,TX

#28 ·
Sorry to tell you this, but Tony died a year go. He's definitely a hero around Austin, and I'm glad people remember him elsewhere.

Would Will Vinson count as an "unknown" monster? He's definitely a monster (of a saxophonist, he's actually quite a nice guy in person), but I don't know how unknown he is any more... he's starting to develop a much-deserved name. For those of you who haven't heard him, here's a clip of him playing with Kurt Rosenwinkel's group.
Terrible video, decent sound quality.

#10 · (Edited)
Ralph Moore, is never really mentioned enough on the forum, He's such a great player and really swings. He has this real traditional sound going for him. The great thing about him though is he plays all the right notes, he doesn't do a lot of fast crazy harmonic lines, but man his playing is gorgeous.

#12 ·
Ralph Moore, is never really mentioned enough on the forum, He's such a great player and really swings. He has this real traditional sound going for him. The great thin about him though is he plays all the right notes, he doesn't do a lot of fast crazy harmonic lines, but man his playing is gorgeous.
I agree! I first heard him on a JJ Johnson recording and was blown away by his tone and articulation.

#11 ·
My former professor and mentor Rick Condit is really something else. He teaches at McNeese University in Lake Charles, LA. He played with Kenton in the late 70s and has been an important voice in jazz education. Check out his website.

www.rickcondit.com

#13 ·
Bob Amram. He has a new CD coming out shortly with a killer combo backing him. I've had the privilege of previewing it this 100% improv session, and it is destined to be a Jazz classic let me assure you.

I'll post more info once this has been released.

#15 ·
IMHO, we don't do enough of this on SOTW: let everybody know about a monster player folks may not have heard of (maybe a "local" guy from your area).

This guy is not exactly "unknown," or from my town, but he's from Canada, and he's a monsterplayer!: Tenor/Soprano/Flute player Andre Leroux.

View attachment 26716 I've never met him, but everything I've ever heard him play is just amazing. Unbelievable tone, taste, technique...and amazing versatility. The guy just totally knocks me out!

I thought for a second there you might be referring to my favorite unknown French-Canadian saxophonist, Yannick Rieu.

#16 ·

View attachment 26716 I've never met him, but everything I've ever heard him play is just amazing. Unbelievable tone, taste, technique...and amazing versatility. The guy just totally knocks me out!

Yeaah! Andre Leroux is awesome. I've met him too, he's a really nice guy.

#20 ·
Yup! I've heard him on about 4 different recordings and the chops, taste, and tone are just nuts!

I thought for a second there you might be referring to my favorite unknown French-Canadian saxophonist, Yannick Rieu.
I've heard of him, but I'm not sure I've heard him?

Do you guys know the Montreal guy who plays with Suzie Arioli? Kim?

Lots of cool names folks! Keep 'em coming--especially good if you have some clips like some that were posted. Awesome!

#21 ·
Greg Abate...monster Alto player in the Phil Woods tradition who is also killer on tenor and bari. Greg is a Rhode Islander and I was fortunate enough to study with him about 10 years ago.

#23 ·
Yow! I just put in Youtube, then Search: Phil Dwyer. Check it out! Also, from Vancouver, BC., James Danderfer, great Jazz Clarinet and Sax. Not to mention Campbell Ryga, Ross Taggart, Mike Allen....there are many here!

#24 ·
I have a Cory Weeds cd that is really great--awesome tone on tenor!

#26 ·
I don't know why Ralph Bowen isn't talked about more... He is a contender for BEST player alive.

Julien Wilson
Irwin Hall
Stantawn Kendrick
Tivon Pendicott
Totally on Ralph Bowen, I'm surprised there is so little talk about him on the forum. I loved his stuff with OTB and Michel Camilo. He's such a great player and it's so sad he's not mentioned enough.

#34 ·
Some more great CDN players:

Mike Murley (ten/sop)
Alex Dean (ten)
Rob Bonosolo (ten)
John Johnson (alto/ten)
Richard Underhill (alto/bari)
Kirk MacDonald (ten)

Monsters all...check'em out.

#44 ·
Hey! Do you know this guy Dany Roy? I've only heard him with the Susie Arioli band cd. I loved him on that...Lesterish!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.