Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am sorry for the stupid question, as I am Japanese and am not so rich in English.

When I read the sentence explaining the condition of the sax, I encounter the word "pull down".
Ex: no pull-down, dents, or modifications.

What does the word mean?
Is it different from overhaul ?
Please someone clarify it.

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Imagine a flexible hose or tube that when bent is not longer round in the area that it was bent.

The term "pull down" refers to a saxophone neck that while attached to the saxophone got the end pulled down so that the metal tube at the bend is now oval shaped instead of round. This can be repaired by a competent technician, but some players make a big deal of it regardless.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The metal neck is slightly flexible.

When the mpc is pulled down too much, the metal of the neck starts to fold instead to bend.
This changes the inner geometry considerably, along with the tone and possibly a couple of notes cannot be played as easily or at all.

Take a straw for drinking.
You can slightly bend it without damage. When you release the force, it goes back into the original shape.
Whith more force applied, it will fold in.
This is more extreme than on the metal mpc that can be bent slightly without being destroyed, but it makes the change easily visible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts