Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I'm not including weird saxophones they don't count, no not even tubax counts)

Most Saxes are Bb or Eb

Tenor as you know is Bb
B flat saxes are the best because...
the highest (soprillo) is Bb
and the lowest (subcontrabass) is Bb
There are more Bb saxes then Eb
5 > 4

Tenor is the exact center of the normal (9) saxophone family

Therefore it is the best

come at me everyone

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I resent being among “normal”.

Tenor - It’s all that matters.

(If you need to explain it, you just don’t get it.)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If weird saxophones don’t count you should reconsider including the soprillo...

The “normal” family of saxophones goes from sopranino to bass saxophone (unless you want to out-smart mr. Sax himself).
It’s 6 saxes: 3 in Bb and 3 in Eb.
Mr. Sax would argue that he also conceived tre C saxophones and 3 F saxophones, but since most of them never existed I’ll include them in the “weird” category.

So the “median” of the saxophone family is in between the tenor and the alto.
You should buy an old C-melody if you want to be hip!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
With all due respect, they're all equally great. I played the bari most of my life and preferred it to tenor because that was my voice but I love them all. Phil Barone

(I'm not including weird saxophones they don't count, no not even tubax counts)

Most Saxes are Bb or Eb

Tenor as you know is Bb
B flat saxes are the best because...
the highest (soprillo) is Bb
and the lowest (subcontrabass) is Bb
There are more Bb saxes then Eb
5 > 4

Therefore it is the best

come at me everyone

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Or a new one. They are back in [Asian] production. I'm waiting for a faithful repro of the F Alto. $199 shipped - with case, strap, grease, two necks and white gloves!
An F alto? Where'd you buy it from? I'd be interested.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Therefore it is the best

come at me everyone
Just because something is at "the exact center" of a "normal" family does not automatically make it best -- besides, most families are dysfunctional. I'm sorry; you fail Informal Fallacies 101. ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
The best for whom? Everyone? I think alto is the best for Cannonball, tenor the best for Coltrane. Being in the exact center of normalcy makes it "the exact center". Not the best.

·
Registered
3,793 Posts
I feel the tenor is the most comfortable to play, ergonomically. Sound-wise, it is no too high nor too low. I had read somewhere in the distant past that the tenor is closest to the human voice.

·
Registered
761 Posts
And theer I was thinking that only about 25% of the Tenor sax players I have ever heard sound good 40% are at best mediocre with their tone and the other 35% sound bloody awful

On the other hand most Bari players I have ever heard sound great, and most alto players sound good although I don't necessarily like what they play.

So i would say from a listening perspective that a tenor played well is awsome tha Leo P on Bari is not of this earth and average players on alto sound pretty good Sop and above should be melted down to make real instruments and therefore don't count (tenors and altos in altissimo sound so much better).

My playing preference however is Alto for me it is the thoroughbred sportscar where as the tenor is your run of the mill Ford with the BAri being that Landrover for fun and games off road.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
The best saxophone is the one you love to play.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Help7 proposed a logical explanation, supported by mathematical proof. The rest of you are just stating subjective opinion (Hadamard was doing pretty good until he blew it by landing on C-melody, which he'd already excluded as weird). Therefore, math and science make it clear that Help7 wins and Tenor is best. ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Help7 proposed a logical explanation, supported by mathematical proof. The rest of you are just stating subjective opinion (Hadamard was doing pretty good until he blew it by landing on C-melody, which he'd already excluded as weird). Therefore, math and science make it clear that Help7 wins and Tenor is best.
Logic and mathematics are irrelevant when it comes to music.
But the biggest flaw in his reasoning is that he starts of by excluding some of the lesser used types, but includes some other types that you see just as rarely. So his starting point is "bent", just like with most people that use logic to "prove" something.
Having said that, I like the tenor best, that's why I play the tenor. And there is no arguing with that, it's just a fact.
So, to chime in with some other contributors here "the best sax is the one YOU prefer to play"

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,134 Posts
I’m with Phil Barone. There is no “best“. For me, alto is best for playing straightahead jazz. Tenor is best for working with a female vocalists or playing old-school R&B. Bari is best for playing a big band or playing in a pop group. It depends on the gig.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I’m with Phil Barone. There is no “best“. For me, alto is best for playing straightahead jazz. Tenor is best for working with a female vocalists or playing old-school R&B. Bari is best for playing a big band or playing in a pop group. It depends on the gig.
Then why is there only one bari in a big band? If it is best, shouldn’t there be a whole section of ‘em?

1 - 20 of 69 Posts