Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on the prowl for an English Horn. Off and on for a couple of weeks there has been a Chinese no-name English Horn listed on eBay with a starting price of $490.00. I innocently asked the seller for a few more pictures, which has resulted in an exchange of emails with the seller offering to sell the instrument to me outside of eBay. When I asked him what assurances he could provide, I almost peed my pants when I read his response. Here is our exchange:

ME: (Through eBay): I may be interested in your English Horn. Could you please send some more pictures to me at [email protected]?

SELLER: Dear friend ,thanks for your email,now I send you pictures to look .
if you want , you needn't bid, we can deal directly , I can give you price is 500USD, shipping is 70USD, so total is 570USD for you . I can end it early to keep it sell you and send you once money is received .again , I still have a Loree english horn .price is 900USD, shipping is 70USD, total is 970USD, do you want ?

thanks,
your friend .

ME: Sure I'd be interested in the horn for 500 plus 70 for shipping.
How can I be sure that once you have my money, you will ship the instrument?

SELLER: Dear friend ,thanks for your response,my paypal be limited, I can't accept paypal any more.if you want , you can send me 570USD via other payment way , like moneygram , western union ,bank wire money transfer .
I am honest , please trust me, once I get your money , I guarantee send the horn to you quickly by EMS ,and give you a track number , you can track it on the way . about 6-7days you can receive horn.

thanks,
your friend .

ME: Thank you for your response.
While your emails are of a friendly nature, I do no know you, nor do you have an established business. With all due respect, I have absolutely no intent to send you 570 blindly via bank transfer or western union.

SELLER: if I can't send horn to you , let me die ! this you can trust me ?
thanks,
your friend .

ME:
Thank you for your response.
I am not interested in your English Horn at the present time.
Your offer to "let you die" if I do not receive the English Horn was tempting, I think I'd rather keep my 570 dollars and continue to shop for an English Horn at music shops or via eBay the traditional way. By the way, you are breaking eBay policy by offering to sell the instrument outside of eBay! Best wishes!

SELLER: It is a pity you still can't trust me . though we can't make a deal , but we are still be friends .have a good day !
happy new year !
good luck to you .
thanks

·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL. Thanks, Grumps, err I mean, friend.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I was offered a similar deal on a YBS 62II. He wanted $1,500 plus $100 for shipping. Of course it would be a direct bank to bank transfer. $1600 for a new YBS 62II? I'll keep shopping.

K
43 yrs of sax and going strong

·
Premium Member
26,254 Posts
Let him die.:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
Ask your new found friend to leave you the horn in his will :D
Ha! Or at least propose a trade: You send him a rusty knife he can use to gut himself, and he sends you his watch, which he won't be needing any more. For obvious reasons, you need to receive the watch first.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,605 Posts
If this person is willing to die for their honesty, they shouldn't have any problem shipping the instrument to you before receiving payment :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Seems like a splendid chap! Trustworthy indeed. He also has 10 million in the bank but needs 10 thousand of your money to get it out!

HUTMO

·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ask your new found friend to leave you the horn in his will :D
Ha! Or at least propose a trade: You send him a rusty knife he can use to gut himself, and he sends you his watch, which he won't be needing any more. For obvious reasons, you need to receive the watch first.
If this person is willing to die for their honesty, they shouldn't have any problem shipping the instrument to you before receiving payment :)
BRILLIANT.. Laugh out loud funny!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,569 Posts
Tell your friend you found another deal online, but you do not have enough money. Since the 2 of you are still friends can he lend you the money....

·
Registered
143 Posts
It's like the new Health Care medicine being marketed by the gov, "Liagra" Stronger & Longer Lasting Fabrications, Removes Remorse, So Effective You'll Even Believe Your Own BS.
Where do these people come from?

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
my paypal be limited, I can't accept paypal any more
Amazing! he's actually admitted that Paypal has cut him off, but he reversed the second sentence: he meant to say Paypal won't accept him any more.

if you want , you can send me 570USD via other payment way
Well, since he's left the option to your choice, tell him it will be a personal transaction: your 250 lb. "representative" (packing a .38 on his hip) will come to his house, collect the horn and then give him the cash.

Humor aside, I think you should report this guy to EBay for violating their rules against solicitation of selling outside the auction. The Email exchange should be proof enough to get him shut down. Nobody needs these crooks ruining it for the honest sellers out there.

·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seller has been reported. His English Horn, and many other low priced instruments are still listed on eBay.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
Interesting that he said he also had a Loree horn for sale... $970 is less than a quarter of what they're going for normally.

And I'd be willing to bet that that picture he has up there is of the Loree horn, not the one he's selling. He claims his horn is brand new, but I noticed that the tenon corks are well worn-in. And it has five left-hand pinky keys, which is the mark of a full conservatory model.

I take it that he never sent you the pictures you originally asked for?

I once tried a Chinese bassoon that a woman I know had gotten from ebay. It was dreadful.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts