Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Actually I generally like to play everything in the key it was composed. I believe that Let it Be, from The Beatles, was written in Concert C, so that is A for us Alto players.

Somehow, I found a transcription that is on F and I have to admit it, it sounds O.K..

In A it is a little higher, which is good for me. A lot of altissimos and and all that. But in F... mmm... has its taste... Then, not every Piano player I know can go on with Concert Ab just like that for whatever thrown to him... if the original key is C... Do I explain myself?

Anybody has played it? What key?

All the best,

JI

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,683 Posts
In A it is a little higher, which is good for me. A lot of altissimos and and all that.
All that altissimo might be a good reason for playing it in F (Ab concert) on the alto. Somehow I can't picture that song sounding good in the altissimo range. Simple tunes like this are often played in different keys than the original, usually to accommodate a singer's range, but it can be changed to place it better for a given horn.

No reason at all a good piano player should have any problem playing in Ab. If a pianist can't play in that key, you need to get a better one! Or compromise and move it to Bb concert (G for you on alto).

Bottom line: Play it in whatever key you want to, assuming you like how it sounds.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,683 Posts
It's in C (A for Eb instruments). It's not that hard to play it in the proper key.
Quite right, except zorroperro was asking about playing it in F, or other keys.

As to the "proper key" I'd agree some tunes sound better in certain keys and often the original key was chosen for a reason. But not always. Many tunes sound just fine in different keys and if you work with a lot of singers I guarantee you'll have to know some tunes in more than one key.

·
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I play it in Concert C, A for us on Alto. Piano players around here usually feel comfortably playing it in C for them, but Ab not so much, unless you give them a chance to practice. I like to use altissimo in this tune as almost in everyone I play... when Let it be is sung and the octave is done by the singer... now us as we play that line, I like to go to the altissimo and there are many E's for us (in our key, for Altos) and can clinch some E4 which I like to play.

At F it gave me a good overall sounding as a melody. It really did.

What key is your favourite? Yesterday (not the song, just played it the day before today:) ) I played it on Concert G, this is E for us and sounded very well too... for me at least.

It's in C (A for Eb instruments). It's not that hard to play it in the proper key.

·
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeap, it is... and that is what keeps me guessing if playing it in a diferent key... I feel it, when playing in A that asks a little too much for the audience and if played in F kind of relaxes them a little so can enjoy such a beautiful tune.

Does anybody agree?

My opinion is that A is quite a bit brighter than F on alto.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts