Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1984 I visited a concert with Arnett Cobb, Johnny Griffin and Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis in Nick Vollebregt's Jazzcafe in Laren, The Netherlands. It was broadcasted on Dutch radio by TROS Sesjun and I recently got some MP3 recordings of that great concert (for me one of the greatest I've ever seen).

They played a fast version of "Lester Leaps In" with really KILLING solo's of Lockjaw and Griffin (and a great one of Arnett too!). I just put a small clip under this mp3 and uploaded it to YouTube. Check it out, it's really fantastic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s-vTT1yLPg

By opening the description under the YouTube video you get a time index, via which you can jump directly to each of the tenor solo's.

Already found and posted earlier here on SOTW a fantastic version of Arnett Cobb playing "The Nearness Of You" at the same concert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i8jKCzHWOw

Enjoy!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
Re: "Lester Leaps In" with Arnett Cobb, Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis and Johnny Griffin - KILLING VERSION!!

And with Butch Miles no less. I've had the pleasure to play with him a couple of times and it's indescribable how much better the band feels when he's behind the kit.

Griffin killed it.

·
Administrator
17,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: "Lester Leaps In" with Arnett Cobb, Eddie 'Lockjaw' Davis and Johnny Griffin - KILLING VERSION!!

Wow, that must have been great, playing with the great Butch Miles :). He never forgots to swing and gives a lot of energy and drive to any rhythm section I've seen him playing in. Same here with Horace Parlan on piano and Jimmy Woode on bass.

Johnny Griffin is indeed killing in this recording. He pics up the ending phrase of the solo of Lockjaw, who ends on a high G. Griff uses that several times in his opening chorus and can't be stopped flying after that (with Butch pushing him to the limit).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts