Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone. My name is Ben Schachter and It seems that a few folks here on SOTW have had some very nice things to say about me. I truly appreciate that.

I have begun giving some lessons via Skype and I am finding (to my surprise) that it works pretty well. For more information about me, or to contact me about Skype lessons, please visit my website http://www.sungunsung.com Thanks, and keep making music!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I just wanted to put a word in here for Mr. Schachter and his work as a teacher.

Long story short: Though I loved hearing him play, I missed the chance to study with Ben when he was in Philly. After hearing so many of his students tearing it up I sought him out via the Internet and asked if he was willing to work with an old greybeard who was just returning to the horn after a long time away. He has been an incredible inspiration. I'd recommend him to anyone -- at any playing level. Tremendous!

Onward!
TM

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Tom. I appreciate the endorsement.

I have lots of time for new students right now. Skype lessons are only $50 and usually last well over an hour - whatever it takes. The Skype thing admittedly doesn't work too well for technical sax stuff, but for concept/improvisation/time, etc. it works quite well. I've taught for many, many years. Dick Oatts, Terell Stafford and I taught at Temple Univ. and we remain great friends and admiring colleagues. I've also taught at Univ of the Arts, and at Berklee. Clinics at many other places, too.

Visit my website to contact me or for more information. Thanks.

www.sungunsung.com

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
Hi Ben, I'm really glad that you're back in action! You might remember me, I started an appreciation thread on your work sometime ago. All the best!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,903 Posts
For those who don't know, Ben is an incredibly gifted, creative saxophonist. You must check out his CDs!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello All,

Still have plenty of time for new students, if anyone is interested. The Skype thing is working out very well. In the interest of full disclosure, I will point out that Skype is not very well-suited for technique and tone, etc. To some extent, it is useful in these areas, but not nearly as much as actually being in the room with a good teacher . (It's a shame, because I love teaching these things. Having had the privilege of studying with both Joe Allard and Joe Viola many years ago - it's in my blood!) But Skype works just fine for discussions of improvisation/theory/concept, etc. Feel free to contact me anytime @ www.sungunsung.com

Ben

·
Registered
52 Posts
I thought I'd chime in with my praise for Ben. Imagine my surprise when I found out that this remarkable musician had moved to my hometown! I just had my first lesson and can't say enough good things about him...great player, great teacher, great human being and very generous with his time and knowledge. I understand that he is available for lessons via Skype...well, what are you waiting for!?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts