Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious to find out if anyone on here has ever had a lesson with Mark Turner. I understand he's not really easy to get a hold of, but one of my priorities for the near future is to find and study with him if he'll let me.

If anyone has, I'd love to hear some of what he has to say. I don't mean to dodge paying for instruction, I've just been mystified by his approach for years and asking him directly isn't an option for me at the moment. If anyone here has had some interaction with him and feels comfortable sharing it, I think many of us would get a lot out of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
HeavyWeather77 said:
I'm curious to find out if anyone on here has ever had a lesson with Mark Turner. I understand he's not really easy to get a hold of, but one of my priorities for the near future is to find and study with him if he'll let me.

If anyone has, I'd love to hear some of what he has to say. I don't mean to dodge paying for instruction, I've just been mystified by his approach for years and asking him directly isn't an option for me at the moment. If anyone here has had some interaction with him and feels comfortable sharing it, I think many of us would get a lot out of it.

I never had any interaction with him except that he had the lesson right before me with Bill Pierce for a semester. I truly loved his playing yet at the same time it made me painfully aware of how far I needed to go and still do

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
HeavyWeather77 said:

You and I both. He is one of the people on my list that I would love to take a lesson with someday...

I do have a friend that took a couple lessons with David Binney though...a bass player actually. He said those were a lot of fun.

·
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SMtrane-

I feel that way about some of my friends from school. I know some of them will be adequately recognized for their work and talent, and I look forward to finding out which.

If you were at Berklee around that time, did you by any chance know a drummer named Rob Avsharian? He was Mark's roommate for a year or two. He's a good friend of mine, he transferred to North Texas and has lived here ever since. He's an incredible drummer and one of the nicest guys on the planet. He has some funny stories about living with Mark, and he thinks it's kind of funny how I idolize the guy.

SJ12-

Man I'd love to hear about a lesson with Binney, too. I plan to look him up as soon as I can, also. I'm sure a lesson with him covers way more than saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
HeavyWeather77 said:

fwiw- Ever transcribe a Turner solo? IF...You wanted to get a jump on things- I'd transcribe some of his stuff. THEN, , When you get the chance you have topics to approach with him too. A guy like this doesn't have a one size fits all teaching method, and it'd be best to have a point of depature to deal with.

Also can you take a tune like " ESP " , And play
it using _HEXATONIC_Scales thru the entire piece? Or, a tune like
Shorters " Wildflower" and approach using altered pentatonic scales....only. NOT PENTATONIC MINOR....but the altered stuff. Or try the Herbie Hancock solo on " ALL OF ME" from the Miles records- and learn it on tenor. These are things YOU SHOULD be on top of, you'll have some landmarks for depature with a advanced teacher ; THEN when you get to him it will have a very personal direction. Ya know?:)
But also transcribe some Warne Marsh stuff; and of couse some Turner. Map your man out ; and study him cold till you see him face to face. Then you have _topics_for depature via a lesson. ok?

Also I'm on staff at a NYC school with Mark, if you mail me thru my myspace account mid next week I can steer you towards getting in touch with him.
Keep up the hard work- I'm sure your gonna have some fun in a few years with your music, your on a great path. Keep on.:)

·
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Tim, very good advice, as usual. I have transcribed a good bit of Mark's stuff and studied the heck out of it. I don't think I'd be going into a lesson unprepared, nor would I expect him to have a unilateral teaching method for every student. Really what I'd want to do is just sort of hang with him, play tunes, and hopefully accidentally get him to talk about his philosophy, about life, music, work, play, you know. Try to experience a little of where he's coming from on a personal level.

Very interesting ideas about altered pentatonics and hexatonics. Are these coming from the Garzone studio, or yours, or other great Berklee guys? I've never thought to work on them. If you have any specifics regarding them, I'd love to hear about them (sell me a book!).

And thanks a lot for offering to help get in touch with Mark. I'll definitely take you up on that when I head up to the Northeast.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Nef' I still study with Banacos...my goal is to _TRY_to get my piano chops into a Jaki Byard kinda thing. PLus- I like Banacos concepts. He's beautiful teacher. A inspiration.
( you musta smelled the Boston thing huh-:shock: hahaha)

HEAVY - I hear ya on those. NO- I got a lot of my ideas early on from Charlie Mariano etc. Charlie is the guru IMHO.
But- some of the pentatonic stuff HAD to come thru early Schillinger system teaching ( later to become Berklee ) and guys that were teachers - players too. Like Jaki Byard.
If you try this advanced pentatonic - - C / D# / E / F# / G // Try it thru ; C# Dim 7 , Emaj7 #5 ,Eb7 , F#7 etc for starters. Then break it up into some 4 and 5 note pentatonic sequences thru THOSE chords. Its a pretty nice sound- but takes TIME ...to apply or/and hear.

I hear from Roberto Mark T' loves the new Roberto soprano reeds. I was teaching a bassoon student & heard this soprano sound drift up the stairs and
asked Roberto " WHAT WAZ THAT.." it was cool sounding. It said it was Mark.
Etc via the new reeds.
Mark keeps his lines a bit tighter harmonically ( that took me a sec to hear in the total ) not as much a broken/ jump like Farrell ETC. I think they want him to do a Roberto clinic soon- Moody is October. I got a boot tape I made of Turner at a NY club w/ Ballard doing duets- BAD HOMBRE'.
ALSO- if you dig Mark- try to hear someday JOHN GROSS. ( hes the guy wrote the MULTIPHONICS book ) and is legend.

HEAVY- another guy I enjoy- that you should hear LIVE is my friend Dave Pietro. I heard him at IAJE and was knocked out- I'm sure your into him..:)
He was into C melody ; F mezzo ; and some deep Brazil based- and India based musics.

Want a great book? lol- - ;) --- Tell you what- check ANDY MIDDLETONS book from Advanced music. It's really a great great book- Andy is a friend & moved to Vienna recently and his book is really worth every cent- GET IT thru Caris music services.

HTH- :cool:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hey TP and everybody,
I was lucky enough to study with Mark for a year during the short time he taught at Manhattan School of Music. He was fairly new to teaching at the time (this was 1998-99) so in my first lesson he basically asked me why I wanted to study with him and what I was looking for. I don't remember exactly what I said, but he was EXTREMELY humble. We did a lot of different things, but for the most part he would show me things he was practicing (he had book and books of notes he made) and I would learn them and work through them. Things like aproach-note lines over varies changes that were inspired by Tristano, Konitz, and Warne Marsh and other intervallic stuff. We would work through tunes writing out piano-like chord voicings and play them on saxophone, sometimes rubato and in various rythms. When you do these in the extreme register, you can really hear where a lot of his stuff comes from. We would also work out chord substitutions over tunes and play standards in odd meters. I remember one time we played "Countdown" for about 10 or 15 minutes, just two tenors, in a choral style, starting with half notes and never going past quarter notes. After that my head was spinning for days!

Most importantly, I was probably most affected by how incredibly humble, genuine, and concientious he has. Example: when he was out of town touring for extended periods he GAVE ME THE MONEY he was making per lesson from MSM so I could go and take lessons with somone else while he was gone (this is when I started sudying with Rick Margitza). We had some lessons the summer after I graduated to make up time, but still didn't get them all made up. I really didn't care because I felt I had enough to work on for years. Over a year later I was working at MSM and I got a letter from Mark. He told me he was resigning from his teaching duties at Manhattan School because he just didn't have time. Enclosed was a check for $150 dollars for the two lessons he remembered he owed me! How often do you see that from a player of his caliber? That's something that probably influenced me more than the heaviest sh*t he showed me.

Luke

·
SOTW Administrator
26,236 Posts
HeavyWeather77 said:
I couldn't have asked for a better response to this thread. Thanks a lot Luke, this is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.

Sounds like a really great guy. Maybe I should start trying to be that nice.
Chuck Norris doesn't have to BE nice. He IS nice--unless you're not.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I took a lesson w/ Mark when I lived in England,1999. He was playing at The Pizza Express Jazz Club. Really great jazz club in London. I just called the club and got hooked up with him. Met with him on the bandstand that afternoon. He was at the piano working stuff out. I'm going to lay out from my notes things he touched on:

Baroque music, Beethoven, contrapuntal music, countepoint.

Check out alot of composition books. Really good tools for improvising. Guide tones (using counterpoint concepts)

Lines in upward and downward motion. Restrict practicing to a 5th or 6th in the lower reg.. Write out lines-connect thoughts.

He really emphasized Hal Crook's book "How to Improvise" I bought it and it really reflects Mark's approach I think.

Giving melodies direction by playing chords.

stick to same idea (alot of what he said is in the Hal Crook book)

Check out other instruments.

Coltrane's 3 tonic system

We played Solar in 5. He takes tunes changes the meter around. He reads alot of Buddhist material too!! Great guy. yes, very humble for such a heavyweight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When Mark would would do a tune in odd time, such as in 5, would he use a metronome or rhythm devise? If so, how would he set it? Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts