Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Vendor
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saxophonist Leo P on the Oleg Bass Saxophone with percussionist, Sandro Feliciano.

Having never played a Bass Saxophone before, Leo P was quite pleased with the ease of playing and responsiveness of the Oleg Bass Saxophone.

Our NAMM Show display model pictured above is now on sale at 38% off.

Check out the Oleg Bass Saxophone

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
993 Posts
I don't mind Leo dancing during a performance. It's part of the act. I get it. But at NAMM it's a bit much. Speaking of playing mannerisms: Know what bothers me more? Kenny G playing the sax like it's a cigarette dangling out of the side of his mouth.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Just stand still and play something for once.
The dude is just not proper. Wears funny clothes, his hair isn't the same as mine. C'mon Leo . How about a polo shirt and some nicely pressed khakis. And then just stand there. Enough of the fun and carrying on like it isn't serious business.

Should have been that way for that Big Jay McNeely guy too, painting his horn and laying on the stage and driving everybody nuts. Just stand still and play. Alto Reed never should have climbed up on top of those amp stacks, blowing like holy hell. Should have just stood still and played.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,579 Posts
The dude is just not proper. Wears funny clothes, his hair isn't the same as mine. C'mon Leo . How about a polo shirt and some nicely pressed khakis. And then just stand there. Enough of the fun and carrying on like it isn't serious business.

Should have been that way for that Big Jay McNeely guy too, painting his horn and laying on the stage and driving everybody nuts. Just stand still and play. Alto Reed never should have climbed up on top of those amp stacks, blowing like holy hell. Should have just stood still and played.
Yes! You get it ;)

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
I don't mind Leo dancing during a performance. It's part of the act. I get it. But at NAMM it's a bit much.
Maybe he wanted to find out how the heavier bass sax would feel if he incorporated it into his regular playing routine, which includes dancing? He was testing the horn, after all.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I get a kick out of Leo, he brings exposure to the saxophone and helps young people to connection with real music, played on real instruments.

I'm just glad he didn't lose a tooth when he did that first dip...Bass is a little bigger than the bari...

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
993 Posts
Maybe he wanted to find out how the heavier bass sax would feel if he incorporated it into his regular playing routine, which includes dancing? He was testing the horn, after all.
Y’know LostConn, I hadn’t thought of that. Point taken.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I get a kick out of Leo, he brings exposure to the saxophone and helps young people to connection with real music, played on real instruments.

I'm just glad he didn't lose a tooth when he did that first dip...Bass is a little bigger than the bari...
I couldn't agree more. The music has to grow and change and stay exciting and interesting or it will stagnate and die with the next generation. Sure the dancing is gimmicky, but he's a heck of a good musician. I say we need more Leo P's in the world.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Leo P is a Bad ***** you guys are jealous...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Agreed. That dude has legit bop skills, and is also a heck of a clarinetist. Dude figured out something that wasn't done, and it worked. That said, he's a legit player, and has been one since he was in highschool.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
Very nice!
What kind of mouthpiece did he use?

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
I think the controversy is about whether he is merely putting on a show (he is, note that a drummer is playing) or whether he is demonstrating a new bass sax (he is not). If this was purely an equipment demo, he could just stand there and play then offer an opinion, perhaps explain the equipment under test. He is doing his performance thing - it happens at shows.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts