Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
A fantastic transcription of Knock Yourself Out is posted on here somewhere. probably in the altissimo section. if you cant find it, i can probably email it to you. also a pretty good etude in "master lessons for the creative musician."

·
Registered
135 Posts
I need to find that transcription, although I don't know if it would help me with a question I have about a technique he does.

In that solo (Lenny's solo on "Knock Yourself Out" from Live and In Living Color), towards the end, he starts circular breathing while working one note, a middle E on tenor. I think he's using an alternate fingering in addition to maybe an alternative articulation technique of some sorts. I can't figure out what he's doing. I have a TOP tribute band and we do that version of that song. I like to try and pull out as many Lenny lics as I can, and that's one I really like. If you know what part of the solo I'm talking about, and how to do it, please let me know. But then again, this may be impossible to explain via typing....maybe a phone call?

I tried to find it on youtube but no luck. He very briefly hints at it in this version, but only for a second. It's at 1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15v73Etc9SQ

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,697 Posts
I need to find that transcription, although I don't know if it would help me with a question I have about a technique he does.

In that solo (Lenny's solo on "Knock Yourself Out" from Live and In Living Color), towards the end, he starts circular breathing while working one note, a middle E on tenor. I think he's using an alternate fingering in addition to maybe an alternative articulation technique of some sorts. I can't figure out what he's doing. I have a TOP tribute band and we do that version of that song. I like to try and pull out as many Lenny lics as I can, and that's one I really like. If you know what part of the solo I'm talking about, and how to do it, please let me know. But then again, this may be impossible to explain via typing....maybe a phone call?

I tried to find it on youtube but no luck. He very briefly hints at it in this version, but only for a second. It's at 1:20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15v73Etc9SQ
And he's on a Super 20!! Not meaning to highjack the thread but that's exciting to me. But he's still on that Berg.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yea, I notice the Super 20 too. Kinda bums me out even more that I sold mine :(. Oh well, I'll own another someday, I'm sure.

Found the transcription of the solo, now I just need to figure out how the hell he's doing it....lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts