Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point me in the right direction for Lennie Niehaus melodies or transcriptions? I have a few of his songs from real books (Bunko was one of the first jazz songs I ever played) and the Library of Musicians Jazz. To be clear, I'm looking for his music, not his arrangements or Jazz Conception books.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
There are some original Niehaus tunes on a few of his recordings if that is what you are looking for. You may have to take them off the recording yourself. You can also find transcriptions of a few of his solos at the saxophone transcription sites.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, saxoclese. I suspected that was the case, but I hoped there's a sheet music book out there that I don't know about yet.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Aebersold Vol. 92 features Niehaus compositions. I also have a TON of big band charts arranged by Lennie as well as quite a few sax quartets. He was (as you probably know) a quite prolific arranger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that's exactly what I was hoping to find! I like his solo playing best, though I'm sure one day I'll want one of his arrangements to play with a group.

Aebersold Vol. 92 features Niehaus compositions. I also have a TON of big band charts arranged by Lennie as well as quite a few sax quartets. He was (as you probably know) a quite prolific arranger.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rhys, thanks, those will keep me busy for a while. I just bookmarked that site -- looks like I'll be shopping a lot there!

Nefertiti, thanks for the recommendation. That book looks like it will be useful with learning to improv. It's also the only Niehaus book I've seen that mentions blues rather than jazz.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts