Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Length of the sax is dependent on the bore and taper. A smaller bore/taper horn will be shorter. A larger bore horn will be longer. Has everything to do with the volume of the instrument and the standing wave that actually vibrates. 1 cm isn't a particularly significant difference (even on a sop), but is due entirely to this bit of physics. There are others on the forum that can give you references to the math, but this is the lay version of it.
Are you certain of this, 'Maddenma'? Seems counter-intuitive to me. I only asking to clarify this point, not to get into any disagreement. Am not an expert on the physics of this, nor have I spent any time measuring the length of any saxes, but would seem a larger bore/taper horn would be the shorter, as volume displaced equal to that of a smaller bore horn would be accomplished over a shorter length cone. I play what are generally considered larger bore horns in my alto (Conn 6M) and tenor (Couf Superba 1), so this question is of some interest (theoretically, at least). Could you explain further the reasoning (or further theory) behind your statement. Thanx.

'museman'

·
Registered
184 Posts
Yeah, thanks Dave. It's like 'deja vu' all over again. I do remember that thread, actually having taken part in it. I think there were some particularly useful comments from certain folks, but lots of contention about whether 'small bore' vs. 'large bore' had any clear agreed upon meaning. The conclusion I was able to draw was there are more factors involved than just bore size or angle of taper, however, that we can generally agree there are indeed models of horns which tend towards a broader, more spread sound, and those with a tighter more focused character and that bore size and angle of taper were part of the equation.

I was questioning in this current thread whether it can correctly be said that "a smaller bore means a shorter horn, and a larger bore equals a longer horn". I didn't get that from the previous discussion, and it does seem counter-intuitive to me. Having said that.......think I will now step out of this discussion, because although of some intellectual interest, it seems a bit like 'stepping on a land mine'. Peace out........

'museman'

1 - 2 of 2 Posts