Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! New to the forum :) I'm looking to get a new tenor and I came across a deal on a Selmer Paris III that seems too good to be true, but it's through a site with buyer protection, so I'm considering taking the risk. One of my concerns is about the legitimacy of the instrument and I was curious to see if anyone could pick out whether there are any indications of fakery in these pictures. From what I can see, the horn looks legitimate but I'm wondering if someone on here has a better trained eye than myself.

Thanks!

Attachments

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
4,136 Posts
Nothing suspect at first sight. But I’ve got no experience with fakes, pretty uncommon over here.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
28,959 Posts
...and I came across a deal on a Selmer Paris III that seems too good to be true...
Greed is how they get you. Even if legit, the pictures could come from elsewhere. What kind of deal are we talking? What's the price?

· Registered
54 Posts
A first look, it does look like my Serie III tenor, but more detailed pictures would be required to confirm. Be sure to check out the seller by running an internet search and look for comments and reviews. Without verifying a quality seller, I wouldn't take the chance. A price to good to be true, usually is.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that's the thing, it's way too good of a price. $750 for mint condition. I suppose I'm trying to give myself a reason not to try it but there's no realistic way it's not a scam. Did a reverse search of the pictures and nothing came up, and the pictures look legit. So since the platform has buyer protection I was trying to see where the scam is but I guess there's always room for the seller to maneuver after purchasing.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
4,136 Posts
Yeah, that's the thing, it's way too good of a price. $750 for mint condition. I suppose I'm trying to give myself a reason not to try it but there's no realistic way it's not a scam. Did a reverse search of the pictures and nothing came up, and the pictures look legit. So since the platform has buyer protection I was trying to see where the scam is but I guess there's always room for the seller to maneuver after purchasing.
Here in Western Europe they go for at least 3 grands, even more in good condition.

· Distinguished SOTW Member
9,281 Posts
BTW, I noticed that the horn pictured appears to be set up rather 'open'. Looks more open, in the lower stack at least, than a new one. Nothing wrong with that, just sayin...

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,404 Posts
Can you pick it up in person?

· Distinguished SOTW Member
5,601 Posts
My take on these situations is if it’s on a protected platform and you’re paying via regular PayPal, I don’t see how you lose OTHER than the aggravation of dealing with refunds etc.

· Registered
9,233 Posts
Everybody bitches on here about this, but I’ve only done COD on the two Selmers I’ve bought that we’re shipped to me. I guess there can be fake cashiers checks or money orders or whatever, but I rip that box open right in front of the driver no matter what he’s telling me before I’ve handed over the check.
Happy ending for the buyer and seller.
The other important key is communication. Get a phone number or do a Facebook Messenger chat.

· Registered
6,005 Posts
I have a high confidence level that the horn is a genuine Series III tenor (pre-Jubilee). Everything looks right. But as everyone here knows, there's no guarantee that what's in the photos would be shipped to you.

· Registered
128 Posts
Just to give a bit more of info about the second hand market in Spain and to a lesser extent France.
I've seen series 3 tenors from 2.5k-4k (whilst Series 2 I've seen from 1.9K to 3K). Curiously Mark VII fall in the 2k-4k range as well.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
38,404 Posts
Just to give a bit more of info about the second hand market in Spain and to a lesser extent France.
I've seen series 3 tenors from 2.5k-4k (whilst Series 2 I've seen from 1.9K to 3K). Curiously Mark VII fall in the 2k-4k range as well.
That affirms that $750 is a reaaaaaally good deal.

Reactions: Globoglobito

· Registered
9,640 Posts
Are you seriously considering that you could buy an actual Selmer saxophone for $750?

Come on, seriously.

I don't know the details of the scam, but I can guarantee that your $750 will disappear and no horn will show up. And it'll be impossible to track down the miscreant.

You don't need to know the details of a scam to recognize one. They're relying on greed to trap a mark. Just like the old "pigeon drop".

Honestly, I think some of y'all need an old uncle or army buddy to teach you Self Preservation and Not Getting Ripped Off 101.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts