Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive played tenor, and some bari, exclusively. Even in college when I studied legit my prof encouraged me to play tenor. Now Im thinking about getting an alto for teaching and was just wondering what cats are using for legit. I remember most of the guys(and gals) were using selmer c*. What are you legit masters playing these days. Thanks in advance.-----C.W
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
Joined
·
1,596 Posts
I think most people are digging on the new Vandoren Optimums for legit playing these days, They are way more consistent than the Selmer S[80] or S90 pieces.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm...veeeerrryyyy interesting. Thanks for the replies guys...and evryone else plz chime in!
 

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
Joined
·
631 Posts
Selmer Paris Larry Teal (LT402) is my choice for both jazz and symphonic stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
480 Posts
I'm no master, simply a college student. However, I play about 95% classical and the other 5 % is my attempt at jazz. I've tried Selmer S80 and Soloist C*'s, Rousseau 4C and NC4, and Vandoren Optimum AL3 and 4. Out of my experience, the AL3 has gotten me the closest to "my" sound. The Rousseau NC4 is a very close 2nd, but it just took more work to get the same sound.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Hi,

Vandoren V5 series very popular here around: A27, A28, A17.
Also the Optimum series: AL3, AL4.
See my signature for my preferences having tried all of them.

Cheers!!!!!!!!!
Anselmo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replies everyone. I am not familiar with any of these except the selmer s-80(for tenor). Guess I have some homework to do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I played a selmer s80 c* for 20 years and just bought a Morgan 3C last week. It has a very nice dark classical tone but a small tip opening. Might take some getting used to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
347 Posts
I'd say if you're used to tenor or bari, pick up an Optimum AL4. It has a slightly bigger tip to work with than most pieces, but note; though the tip is only around .067 (iirc) it feels a bit bigger than that. It feels more like a Meyer 5 in terms of tip/response, but it can get a very dark, but still brilliant, sound. I'm quite in love with mine, but it took me a year of hating it to find all that out. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
668 Posts
S80 done up by Larry Teal. An older one. Looks like it started life as a transitional mp. My favorite mouthpiece.

Harv
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top