Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few I've bought over the last year have all quickly developed splits at the tips. This occurs after not very many hrs playing them. They play OK but I think I am done with them. They simply cost too much to be so fragile. :(

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
The last few I've bought over the last year have all quickly developed splits at the tips. This occurs after not very many hrs playing them. They play OK but I think I am done with them. They simply cost too much to be so fragile.
Same experience for me. I use 8 in rotation (the max I can fit in my reed holder) and yet at least 2 or 3 of them have already developed splits at the tips. I';ve only had them about 2 months or so (probably less).

I';ve since gone back to using mainly Rigotti Golds and Vandoren Greens.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
What size and strength? I haven't had this issue over the two years I've used them exclusively.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
I've been using them for over ten years. There were a few which developed white lines that looked like "splits" but weren't. They still played okay. Once I dropped one and it really did split. Christian1's question is a good one — what size, strength? Classic, Studio Cut, or Signature?

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,329 Posts
I've been using them for over ten years. There were a few which developed white lines that looked like "splits" but weren't.
My most recent tenor signature developed this condition in just under of month of use in rotation with 2 other Legere Signature reeds. In the hope that it was just a line, I put it under a strong magnifier and pressed my finger nail on the right and then left side of the line. Unfortunately I could see a "jog" in the curve of the tip right at the white line. So mine definitely did split, but it is still playing well. Since I have been playing Signatures for a couple of years now with no other issues, this may be a recent production issue.
I ordered a tenor studio since then, and will watch it and report if it splits as well.
I also keep them in a reed case, but that did not stop the crack from developing.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Mine are Signature 2’s and they are definitely splits and not just lines. My Signatures from last year lasted longer without developing the splits. Makes me think it’s a recent production issue as well.

It’s a shame because now I have to deal with temperamental canes again.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,180 Posts
My signature alto reeds seem to be lasting forever. I have had two soprano Legere signature reeds split but I do play them really hard.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,329 Posts
Mine are Signature 2’s and they are definitely splits and not just lines..
My split tip is also on a recently purchased tenor signature 2. I was using it in rotation with two other signature 2's that are now over a year old with no tip problems.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well good to know I'm not imagining things, I too examined them up close to determine they really were splits.

Just noticed today, an alto sig I have played only briefly has the "line" I don't even want to look close...I just don't like it. Sayonara

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,501 Posts
Bummer. No such problems with mine. Tenor, both signature and the superior studio cut. From 2.5-3.5.

Lots of folks think they play hard. Me too.

Guitar player complained anout me the other night. He comes over as we are going on break, says he is looking for the volume knob on the tenor so he can turn it down.

The Legeres are really lasting for me.
I can blow out a cane reed in one hard rock gig.

Trying them on alto next. Mellower gigs, but why not?

Dat
Sax
Man

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I won't miss them. Also I hate a clear reed that is next to impossible to adjust correctly (to my satisfaction) in a hurry or in less than perfect stage lighting.

Sorry Legere I'm splitting.

I may be trying a Hartmann (hope it ain't Black) and I got my trusty old fibercells standing by.

I am waiting for whoever invents that perfect cane-colored synth that really sounds good and stays together, unlike the peeling F'cells and splitting legeres.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,112 Posts
I won't miss them. Also I hate a clear reed that is next to impossible to adjust correctly (to my satisfaction) in a hurry or in less than perfect stage lighting.

Sorry Legere I'm splitting.

I may be trying a Hartmann (hope it ain't Black) and I got my trusty old fibercells standing by.

I am waiting for whoever invents that perfect cane-colored synth that really sounds good and stays together, unlike the peeling F'cells and splitting legeres.
I’m happy with the black and white Fiberreeds for more than 10 years.

·
Registered
Primarily Tenor with occasional Alto
1,547 Posts
Sorry this has been your experience. I don't like the Signatures on tenor HR pieces but been playing on a 2.75 on my Jody Jazz Super Jet for months now and have another 2.75 for back up. Keep them stored between gigs in a plastic rico reed holder. I've played on and tried all sorts of cane reeds ...so inconsistent for me here living in a humid coastal area and been playing a house gig, covered but outdoors every Saturday for the past couple of months and the Signatures have been a breeze to play on with great consistency, stability, etc.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I play Legeres with a street band, and I quickly learned to use a mouthpiece cover when I'm out and about....brushing up against them will split them. The other time I've split the Legeres is when I get careless slipping the ligature over them on the mouthpiece. On the upside, they will often play pretty well even with splits. Well, at least good enough for outdoor street band gigs. I don't play them indoors very much, unless I know it's going to be hot and/or there will be a lot of pauses between playing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,251 Posts
A reed that costs that much should not be splitting just from playing “hard“. I think you guys should send your reeds back to the company.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts