Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks to all who took a guess, and for all of the feedback!

The Legere synthetic reed was...................reed #2.

I found it really interesting that a lot of people guessed that #2 was cane. I might have done the same if I was listening to it with unbiased ears.

Thanks again!

·
Administrator Emeritus
18,478 Posts

I found it really interesting that a lot of people guessed that #2 was cane. I might have done the same if I was listening to it with unbiased ears.

Thanks again!
I know that I did assume that reed # 2 (also for me the better sounding one) was the cane reed because I know from my experience (on tenor) that the synthetic reeds I tried so far are never as good sounding as cane reeds. Your test proofed that it can be different (at least on alto!). :)

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Good stuff, Dave!
I've got a new Legere Sig tenor coming today...I'm hoping for the best on my Sakshama Custom Z!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I know that I did assume that reed # 2 (also for me the better sounding one) was the cane reed because I know from my experience (on tenor) that the synthetic reeds I tried so far are never as good sounding as cane reeds. Your test proofed that it can be different (at least on alto!). :)
Yeah, I was pretty surprised myself! Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good stuff, Dave!
I've got a new Legere Sig tenor coming today...I'm hoping for the best on my Sakshama Custom Z!
Thanks! Good luck on it. I've tried them on alto and clarinet so far, tenor is next. Not sure if I'll fully switch, but it'd be great to have one in the reed case just to have something I know will always work.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,356 Posts

Thanks again!
Wow, definitely surprised!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,349 Posts

Thanks again!
Dave
You sounded great and amazing on both.
I ve listened to you,and had little doubts on number two,thought it did nt have the character in sound as much as number one,but still sounded really good.
You said you had similar experiences with Legere reeds on tenor!?
Would be nice to hear you do the same on tenor.
I like them on soprano,but was nt impress on my tenor one,now waiting for a Signature one for my tenor.
Thanks again
Fantastic video.
My regards
Mario

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Dave, I think that reed 1 is the cane and 2 is synthetic. I just dug the sound more on the first reed, but I've been wrong before......

21 - 32 of 32 Posts