Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I've been spending more and more time with Legere signatures, and decided to make a quick comparison with my usual go-to (LaVoz).

Horn is an 82Zii, and the mouthpiece is a Phil-Tone Solstice.

Can you tell which is which? I think they're close enough that I might start spending more time with a synthetic. It would solve so many life problems! :)

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I think they both sound great, Dave!
I've heard guys say that the Legeres are a little "picky" about their placement on the table...have you found this to be an issue?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
Don’t care which is which. Your playing is good and I dig your sound, but the second Reed was much better for you. Reed 1 was too stiff? I was curious if it was a style thing that you slid into almost every note rarely hitting even accented notes head on the pitch. It was not an issue at all on Reed 2. Not only was the pitch center cleaned right up, it just felt better all around. In general you sounded like you were having way more fun on Reed 2. The differences I perceive on this side make me guess that Reed 2 is cane.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've heard guys say that the Legeres are a little "picky" about their placement on the table...have you found this to be an issue?
i thought the reeds sounded very similar - the Legere sounded plenty good to me
I have found that Legere placement on the table makes a world of difference !! It is picky - sound goes from stuffy and hard-blowing to
bright and free-blowing in my experience. The Legere on a metal piece (Ex Dukoff or Berg) is spot on matched in color and hard to align perfectly
to the tip of the piece for me. Legere may do something in the future to help with this - i hope so. That being said, the Legere does make life easier I think.
Best of luck

·
Registered
715 Posts
Strong playing with both reeds. I sort of prefer #1, but I would find it difficult to say why.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks! I haven't noticed that, but I have noticed that it's harder to gauge where it's lined up in a dark environment, just because it's clear and a little harder to tell. I'm sure I'd get used to it soon enough though.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t care which is which. Your playing is good and I dig your sound, but the second Reed was much better for you. Reed 1 was too stiff? I was curious if it was a style thing that you slid into almost every note rarely hitting even accented notes head on the pitch. It was not an issue at all on Reed 2. Not only was the pitch center cleaned right up, it just felt better all around. In general you sounded like you were having way more fun on Reed 2. The differences I perceive on this side make me guess that Reed 2 is cane.
Thanks, and I don't really care which is which, aside from the fact that a synthetic would remove one more thing to worry about if I can get used to them. It's the dream!

I guess I didn't say when I'd reveal which one is cane....I'll give it a little more time and do it tomorrow, as I'd like as much "blind" feedback as possible.

Also, it's not my normal horn or mouthpiece, which might be accounting for some of the pitch stuff....although you are right, it happened less on #2.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i thought the reeds sounded very similar - the Legere sounded plenty good to me
I have found that Legere placement on the table makes a world of difference !! It is picky - sound goes from stuffy and hard-blowing to
bright and free-blowing in my experience. The Legere on a metal piece (Ex Dukoff or Berg) is spot on matched in color and hard to align perfectly
to the tip of the piece for me. Legere may do something in the future to help with this - i hope so. That being said, the Legere does make life easier I think.
Best of luck
Thanks for the feedback!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Similar. Like all such comparisons here on SOTW, about five seconds into the comparison and I've forgotten what the first one sounded like. My initial reaction was that #2 had a bit more depth to the tone, but then I just settled into listening.

My Legere experiences have not been very good but others like them - obviously. I think it is a personal choice and depends much on the player and not the product. DAVE

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,002 Posts
I think you sounded great on both, Dave. And to be honest I couldn't tell much difference in the sound. The real test is which one you prefer in terms of response and flexibility. It's almost impossible to make that judgment from a sound clip.

When I first tried a Legere on tenor (which may be a different situation to alto) I thought it played and sounded great. But after a couple of gigs I realized I wasn't getting the full spectrum of sound that I can get on cane and the response felt kind of sluggish in the upper register on Legere vs a good cane reed. So I'm back on cane.

But strictly based on those sound clips, I think you're fine with either reed. Let us know which is which and what your decision is.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you sounded great on both, Dave. And to be honest I couldn't tell much difference in the sound. The real test is which one you prefer in terms of response and flexibility. It's almost impossible to make that judgment from a sound clip.

When I first tried a Legere on tenor (which may be a different situation to alto) I thought it played and sounded great. But after a couple of gigs I realized I wasn't getting the full spectrum of sound that I can get on cane and the response felt kind of sluggish in the upper register on Legere vs a good cane reed. So I'm back on cane.

But strictly based on those sound clips, I think you're fine with either reed. Let us know which is which and what your decision is.
I had a similar experience on tenor. I was surprised that I really liked the alto one. That being said, that was my first trial, and I haven't played them for more than that day yet.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Similar. Like all such comparisons here on SOTW, about five seconds into the comparison and I've forgotten what the first one sounded like. My initial reaction was that #2 had a bit more depth to the tone, but then I just settled into listening.

My Legere experiences have not been very good but others like them - obviously. I think it is a personal choice and depends much on the player and not the product. DAVE
I had never jived with them before either, but for some reason, that alto one worked pretty well. Thanks for the feedback!

·
Administrator
17,248 Posts
Dave, your are a wonderful player and you sound great on both reeds.

I thought to hear some difference in the sense that reed 2 seems to have more colour to the tone, more depth. My guess is that reed 2 is the La Voz.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave, your are a wonderful player and you sound great on both reeds.

I thought to hear some difference in the sense that reed 2 seems to have more colour to the tone, more depth. My guess is that reed 2 is the La Voz.
Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Thanks for the comparison, really helpful!

My guess is, after listening two times, that #2 is the LaVoz reed. But the differences are pretty small. The #1 reed sounds more punchy, and less subtle.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the comparison, really helpful!

My guess is, after listening two times, that #2 is the LaVoz reed. But the differences are pretty small. The #1 reed sounds more punchy, and less subtle.
Thanks, I hear what you're saying in the recording too.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,230 Posts
i much preferred the sound of the second reed. It was rounder, fuller, more balanced. Just a more pleasing sound.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts