Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I’m curious whether there is anyone else that get blisters and sore lips from playing these? Been on those (tenor) for a long time, years actually, but now they start to affect my lips badly. This problem is not present on cane reeds regardless of how much I practise, for Legere 30 mins tops before it starts to hurt.

C

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Never have had anything like that but I do know that they can feel different somehow. Not sure how to describe it but maybe less giving or more resilient because after all the fibers or tubules of a can reed can give and eventually collapse. That's probably the reason they wear out or lose their playing quality. Plastic reeds on the other hand are dense and solid and don't give, so I suppose over time your lips take the brunt of that now more than they used to. Age or ???

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Could it be an allergy to the type of plastic used? Some players have complained the same thing about Plasticover reeds and said it was an allergy since most others don't have any reaction.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Could it be possible you simply got a dud Legere? I haven't had any for a long time now, but when I first started using them (10 years ago now), it was pretty normal to come across some that were badly cut/finished, I had to buy them in person rather than online, so that I could see it and make sure I was getting a good one. The higher the strength, the more likely something would be wrong. Again, this was a long time ago and hasn't been an issue for a few years now.

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,588 Posts
I had this problem when I used them for a couple of months on tenor (if you search the archives, you'll find that there's at least one other player who asked a similar question within the past year or so).

My solution was to simply sand down and smooth the outer edges of the reed. This seemed to alleviate the problem.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had this problem when I used them for a couple of months on tenor (if you search the archives, you'll find that there's at least one other player who asked a similar question within the past year or so).

My solution was to simply sand down and smooth the outer edges of the reed. This seemed to alleviate the problem.
Yes, this makes sense because it is the sides/edges that start to hurt and then it spreads. Got two reeds in rotation and very often I play both on the same day - just have to find out if it is only one or both that cause the pain. Could be an allergy, too, since I’m allergic to a lot of things, for instance wage labour....

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Funny that I've used them quite often and never had this experience. In fact the only time I tried to sand one of them was when the edges got rough and less precise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts