Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using Legere Studio Cuts for awhile now. What I was wondering is if anyone has tried the Signature Cut? If so, how is it different from a Studio Cut.

I play mostly smooth jazz (kirk whalum, dave koz, mindi abair, etc) but also big band swing. I am not sure if the Signature cut would be good for me or not.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,908 Posts
My opinion is that aSignature is a proper reed, I never found studios to be useable at all. It's not just "cut" it's a whole different reed. Chalk and cheese.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
Never used the Studio, but the Signature is now "my reed" No more fussing with reeds. Just slap it on the Personaline and play. Now I can spend more time playing and less time fussing with reeds. The sound may not be exactly what I am looking for, but the more I use it the closer it gets. Not sure if that makes sense, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My opinion is that aSignature is a proper reed, I never found studios to be useable at all. It's not just "cut" it's a whole different reed. Chalk and cheese.
I figured it was pretty different. I planned on getting one to try, so next time I am getting reeds I will try the Signature.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i hear they are brighter (if thats possible) than the studio. they are more similar to a hartman, or fibercell. check old threads i know i saw one when they were new

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
Never tried the studio, but of the synthetic reeds I have on hand, here is how they sound to me.

Brightest Order:
Fibracell - very bright & buzzy
Hahn
Legere standard
Legere Signature - closest to Vandoren Blues of all of them

·
SOTW Administrator
26,206 Posts
The legere signature is the closest to a cane reed of any synthetic I've tried.

I have a tenor studio cut that I use for when I want to have a more raucous sound.

Pete is right--the signature is not a different 'cut', it's a complete rethinking of how the reed is manufactured. You can tell by comparing a regular to a studio to a signature. The regular and studio have a series of 'line' looking things in the interior. The signature does not.

·
Registered
923 Posts
i hear they are brighter (if thats possible) than the studio. they are more similar to a hartman, or fibercell. check old threads i know i saw one when they were new
Not brighter to me and a couple of other players I know who compared them to the Studio. They are also darker than my Lavoz MH and Riggotti 3 Strong. Just finished playing them with my Durga 9 alto. Nice "full" sound and very fast response, however they are Very finicky when it comes to where they sit on the mouthpiece. A fraction moved one way or the other changes the response significantly; more so than cane I've used.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
I also found them dark and wonder if Legere will eventually offer a "Studio Cut" option to their "Signature" line. I normally use Studio Cut 3's and after trying a Signature 3 I recognized the potential superiority of the reed material but I think if I buy another one I'll drop the strength back to 2.75 and see if I get a bit more edge.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I find myself at a loss with all of the technical lingo, so I'll just put it out there:

I've used Legere Studio Cut tenor reeds exclusively for 2 years now. The only time I used something different was when I finally broke one on a gig and had to bust out a spare cane ZZ.

My reason for the switch was simple- the show band I play with does a 4hr straight, choreographed show and I kept breaking reed tips and getting splinters in my lip.
I was in need of a bright, edgy sound that would cut, scream, and rip when I need it to do so. However, with a bit of embrochure control, I can get a nice fat tone for big band charts as well.

Since then, I have switched to Legere for soprano and bari as well. On soprano especially, it gives me that sound that borders on abrasive while still sounding sexy.

If they made Studio Cut for all models, I'd be using them there as well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts