Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since my reed expenditures seem to be spiralling out of control, I thought that giving synthetic reeds another go might be a good idea. I did try Legere a couple years ago and found them okay, but just got out of the habit of using them. I feel like having a reliable, consistent synthetic reed to practice on would mean I could keep my good cane reeds for gigs and wouldn't get through them so fast.

Anyway, I'm just not too sure what strength I should be getting - I usually play La Voz medium hard but La Voz isn't listed on this chart.

Looking at these, it seems like I should be going for either a 3 or a 3.25, but the charts are a bit inconsistent. Are there any La Voz players out there who've tried Legere who can give me some clues?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I can't tell where you live, but Legere do have an exchange policy if you need to get a harder/softer reed. I use Legere Signature Reeds but don't have experience with La Voz Reeds though, so can't help you.

·
Registered
517 Posts
For me slightly softer is always better than too hard with legere reeds. Try both as was suggested. The return policy is great. I now have found the perfect strength for my legere reeds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks for the comments. It's definitely good to know that I can return if I need to!

I remember last time I experimented with synthetic reeds that they felt softer than I expected which makes me want to go for the 3.25.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I ended up going with a 3.25, and it does definitely feel a bit too hard after all. I thought about keeping it as a spare but I think I'll just return it for a 3.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,988 Posts
Are you trying to match the strength or the level of brightness?

Légère Signature are very dark reed.

The strength comparison chart provided by Légère is reliable... but you need to remember that even with two different reeds (different models of reed) of similar stiffness, you get a different sound, no matter if you compare synthetic and cane reeds.

A Légère Signature is a dark sounding reed (mainly for classical stuff if you consider the sound that produces).
The LaVoz is a jazz reed... on the darker side (but many move down half number to get some punch back... without adding too much sizzle on top: check Michael Brecker!).

I mainly use a D'Addario Jazz Select #3M (filed or unfiled)... and to match the brightness I used the Signature #2,75, which was significantly softer than the #3M by D'Addario.
The Signature #3 was right in terms of resistance and responsiveness... but way too dark.

Among synthetics, the Forestone Unfiled was the best reed to match a D'Addario reed (the Orange Box... in particular, now "Rico by D'Addario).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I followed the link to Legere to find the strength chart but was unable to see anything because they insist that I sign up for their email material. I did try to learn about their products but was continually sent back to that sign up page. I eventually gave up.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Thanks but no. I did sign up, but I'm on slow dial up. It takes about 10 minutes to open an email, but I took the time to open legere's email and click on the link which took me to their site where I was supposed to do something else to prove I'm human, but really by that point I realized that it was fruitless. They have their reasons for doing what they do, I now have my reasons for doing what I will now forever do,,buy a different reed. (for what its worth, I already own 2 different legere(sic) reeds, I was just curious about the strengths).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was trying to match strength first and foremost. La Voz doesn't appear on Legere's chart, which is what caused the confusion in the first place.

I'm still considering whether it's going to be worthwhile to return this or not ...

·
1,988 Posts
You have just to compare the Légère strenght with another strenght chart...

A LaVoz Medium matches a D'Addario Select Jazz #2H... which matches a Légère Signature #2,5.

A LaVoz Medium Hard matches a D'Addario Select Jazz #3M... which matches a Légère Signature #3.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But different charts say different things, that's the point. Look at the charts I linked to in my original post.

·
1,988 Posts
The two above (excluding the Légère part) say the same thing.
(You need a large screen... you can see the whole two together on a smartphone, if that was the case).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts