Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a legere studio cut and a signature for tenor. While I feel that the signature sounds and responds more naturally I am wondering what it is that makes it so much more expensive.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,226 Posts
I&D usually have more impact in the new products cost. Some time after the product release the I&D costs are covered and prices go down. It could be a marketing strategy because a lot of people thinks "expensive=high quality product", also it could be a way to suggest the Signatures are better than the older models.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,021 Posts
It could be a marketing strategy because a lot of people thinks "expensive=high quality product", also it could be a way to suggest the Signatures are better than the older models.
This is possible, but it's just as likely that they really are better than most other synthetic reeds, and therefore players are willing to pay a bit more for them.

Caveat: I'm just shooting in the dark, because I don't play synthetic reeds. Maybe I should try these, but I've always been disappointed in the past when trying out synethic reeds.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I play them - I'm currently not too happy about it though. My new signature has a split on the corner after just a few weeks. It may be someone bumped it though, so I can't really be pissed at Legere.

I've been playing it anyway and it seems to work just fine... :)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
This is possible, but it's just as likely that they really are better than most other synthetic reeds, and therefore players are willing to pay a bit more for them.

Caveat: I'm just shooting in the dark, because I don't play synthetic reeds. Maybe I should try these, but I've always been disappointed in the past when trying out synethic reeds.
I believe that all plastic reeds are expensive simply because they know they'll last a long time.

When you think about it there's probably way work to manufacture cane.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
I believe that all plastic reeds are expensive simply because they know they'll last a long time.

When you think about it there's probably way work to manufacture cane.
I suspect you are right. Once they pay to set up the manufacturing, it's just a bit of plastic. Pennies.

Cane on the other hand is not manufactured at all. It's grown and that's both time consuming, labor intensive and even risky. Especially if you grow a row of cane and a row of cannabis as an unknown but possibly large number of growers do.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I suspect you are right. Once they pay to set up the manufacturing, it's just a bit of plastic. Pennies.

Cane on the other hand is not manufactured at all. It's grown and that's both time consuming,
I'm pretty sure that plastic reeds have a pretty low manufacturing cost. I do find the Legere Signatures too expensive at around $25 retail. I find Fibracells and even Baris to be as good in certain applications, and at under $10, much more reasonable on the pocket. But the way price escalations are going, I won't be surprised to see one day a $80 or $100 synthetic reed, and I am sure some will still buy them...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I once bought the Fiberreed Carbon just because the marching band that I'm in was doing The Nightmare Before Christmas as a competitive show. Other than looking awesome it was nothing special and way overpriced.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I went on an artificial reed binge not long ago, and I actually like the studio cut better than the signature. Sadly, I liked the Fibracell better than both. Better than the Hahn/Hartmann's, as well.

·
Undistinguished SOTW Member
723 Posts
I once bought the Fiberreed Carbon just because the marching band that I'm in was doing The Nightmare Before Christmas as a competitive show. Other than looking awesome it was nothing special and way overpriced.
I never did get into the Hartman's Carbon Fiberreed as the cost was really prohibitive to me.

I went on an artificial reed binge not long ago, and I actually like the studio cut better than the signature. Sadly, I liked the Fibracell better than both. Better than the Hahn/Hartmann's, as well.
Recently I got a standard Legere for soprano for $10, and it was quite nice. I do have the Signatures for Tenor and Alto, and I don't find them very much superior, for that much higher price point. I do like the Fibracells, which seem to me more cane like among the synthetics, and the Bari is good for me on tenor and alto, but not soprano.

At the end of the day, I do like synthetics being the lazy joe shmoe that I am. I just leave it on the mouthpiece and play it, and it needs little else except for the periodic washing with soap and water.

So like everything else, more money doesn't necessarily translate into a better reed for synthetics. Companies will keep increasing the price as long as people are willing to pay, I guess. Legere's do have very good after sales exchange programs though, I have to say, so that helps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts