Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I plan to try out a legere signature series reed for alto saxophone. The mouthpiece that I want to try it on is a yamaha 6c with tip opening of 0.071 so I was bit confused if I should try the one with strength 2 or 2.25
I don't want to end up buying both as each one costs around $25 :cry: and I am not sure if I will be using it in the long run. Any idea which one would suit 0.071 tip opening mouthpiece?

Thanks,

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I've been playing a 2 1/4 on a .090. Feels like the 2.5 java red to me. Not sure if that helps....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
I don't think there really is a right strength reed for any tip opening.

There are general sort of things like if someone had a 4 reed it would probably be easier to play it on a smaller tip opening but that's not always the case, it's really about what a player likes themselves.

I would say that the Legere Signature 2.25 would work quite well with a Yamaha 6C.
A Legere Signature 2.5 would probably work well, as well.
Maybe the Legere Signature 2 would be a bit soft but it depends on what the player likes.

I've used Vandoren 2.5 reeds on a Yamaha 5C and had no problems FWIW.

I'm currently using a Legere Signature 2.25 on a Dukoff and I've been pretty impressed with it.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Don't forget, you can exchange your reeds for a different strength or model. Just add a few bucks for return postage. I spent the last six months trying to find just the right strength reeds for clar., +Bass clar, sop, alto, tenor and bari. A lot of exchanges and the Legere people are very good. After all that, I'm back to cane on sop clar, alto and tenor. The Legere works OK with my bass clar and bari and sop sax. I'm keeping the Legeres for back-up and will try them again, but for now, cane works best on the horns I mentioned, (for me).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Main reason for asking the strength question is, I have tried vandoren 2.5, vandoren ZZ 3 and la voz medium soft on the 6c out of which vandoren 2.5 is too stiff/hard , ZZ is slightly better after some sanding and la voz is directly playable

I don't have the liberty of trying different strengths from the part of the world where I reside. I am trying to procure the reed from one of my friend and I need to tell him the exact number. I don't want to end up paying 25$ for a non playable stiff reed.

·
Forum Contributor 2012-2015
1,325 Posts
IMO if you buy any Legere reed there is at least a 50% chance that you will be buying a "non playable stiff reed".

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh!! is it because their strength/numbering system or there can be variation in reed strengths from reed to reed? If I look at their comparison chart they have compared it with cane reeds and the numbering system looks pretty ok.

·
1,325 Posts
Again this is based only on my own experience,but I don't think their strength chart is very accurate at all. All Legeres are significantly harder that what they are numbered.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Legere reeds also have this quality where the molecular structure seems to be in flux and you go from a perfect reed to a horrible limp reed, then back to a perfect reed... all in the span of a minute or two.

·
Banned
442 Posts
I will agree with Bozman. I used the Legere conversion table for the cane reed strength I have played for years, and ordered their equivalent. It was rock-stiff and I had to send it back. Thinking I only needed to go down 0.25 in hardness I ordered it that much less. Wrong...still rock-stiff, so I pleaded on the phone and they agreed to another swap. Now I have a 2.25 stiffness (these are the Studio Cut Tenor I am talking about) and it is still the stiffest reed I can blow without getting worn out in ten minutes, but I don't dare call them back again for another exchange. If I buy, when I buy another one, I will order a 2.0 and it will be about right. So, I think the chart is inaccurate in that you will likely get much harder than you need. Otherwise, it is a great reed, I will buy more and use them once I blow this one enough to wear it out! :)

·
Registered
141 Posts
I recently bought my first Legere Sig Reeds. I wet .25 up from what I normally use for both Alto & Tenor (Rico Select Jazz 2m on Alto & Vandoren Blue Box 3 for Tenor). I found the 2.25 Alto reed to be pretty good. Even a bit softer than my Rico. In contrast, the 3.25 tenor reed was like a board. Anyway, shall be exchanging that one. From what I've just read I think I'll go down to a 2.75.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Legeres seem to be .5 harder than most cane equivalents. They can easily be scraped which is nice. Use a flat blade and just give it a go. I kept the too hard ones and have just adjusted them. Easier than cane to work with.

·
Forum Contributor 2010-2016
1,706 Posts
I agree that they can be scraped down in strength with no problems at all. Just don't try to clip them with a clipper. That was a $30 mistake I won't make again!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I have seen Legere's strength chart, but I would like some information based on the first-hand experience of SOTW members. I have experienced the regular Legere reed, but not the Signature. Which Legere Signature reed strength would be about equivalent to the strength of the following reeds:

Equivalent to Vandoren Java Green 3 (I'm most interested in this one)
Equivalent to Vandoren Traditional 3.5
Equivalent to Rico Reserve Classic 3+

·
1,325 Posts
I have a Signature 2 (tenor) that is slightly softer than a Java 3 and a Signature 2.25 that is much harder than a Java 3.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm playing Legere standard reeds on sop, alto, tenor, and bari...and after much experimentation with Studio Cut and Signature, I find the standard cuts give the warmest, fullest tone for me...and i'm now playing 2 hardness across the board. This is on smaller tips (most around 6*). Back in the day, LaVoz med-hard were my standard gigging reeds, on more open mouthpieces. So I agree that Legere's are very much stiffer than the numbering suggests. I've used a 1 3/4 on alto and would probably go with 1 3/4 on soprano if I could get one. I don't know how anyone can blow a 3 Legere without having a stroke
!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Oh, and I have found the Signatures to be a bit softer than the standards (maybe 1/4), and the Studio Cuts are just too trebly for my chops so it's hard to say, probably 1/2 softer...Still, I have never had any luck with 3 or stiffer of any style Legere. Of course your chops may be way different than mine (I play double embouchure, and try to keep my chops real loose...)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts