Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to lightly sand a Legere Signature reed? Just wondering if anyone has done this successfully.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Anything is possible, even if it's not recommended by the manufacturer. I've found that modest adjustments to synthetic reeds can work, although you may need to deal with fibrous material coming loose. The downside, of course, is that the consequences of ruining a synth reed are worse than from ruining a cane reed, since the synths are so expensive.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,307 Posts
Legere advises that you can lightly sand or use a razor to shave the reeds. I have done this, with only a moderate success. I have had much more luck doing the following:
Bring water in a cup to a boil. Dip the playing end of the reed into the water for about 1/2 second. Let the reed cool a bit and then try it. If still too strong, repeat the process. I have used this practice to soften Legere's up to about 1/2 too hard. The short immersion times are recommended, because if you heat the reed to long, there is no going back.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I once very carefully rubbed one on a Vandoren "Glass Reed Resurfacer" it helped. I don't do that anymore now that I know the strength I prefer. Prior to using the exchange process I did experiment.

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you ask Legere directly they apparently also make in-between strength reed, e.g. a 2,625. This way you might not need to mess with sanding them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I used legeres, never done it as far as they us 1/4 system, but I know few people who send them with very fine sandpaper. Don't know the "number system" of sandpapers in your country but here in Europe it's 1000-2000 (don't know the unit though).

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I just tried sanding a Legere classic I have been playing signatures but wanted to try a classic I bought it in 2-1/2 I found I ever so slightly hard so I took a strip of fine sandpaper about 1-1/2" wide on a flat surface and very carefully ran the flat side up the length of the sandpaper once and tried the reed I then ran it up the paper once more tried and it was perfect
so the answer I would say is yes sanding will work I used 320 grit wet and dry paper

·
Registered
55 Posts
Would be interesting how the sanded Legere holds up in terms of longevity. Also interesting to hear that it works.

·
Registered
41 Posts
From the Legere Reeds website-

"Sanding, scraping and clipping of reeds is discouraged. Clipping the reed with a conventional reed clipper is likely to cause tip damage. If necessary, the reeds can be scraped with a sharp blade held perpendicular to the reed. They should be scraped from the top of the vamp towards the tip. Fine sandpaper may also be used in the same way. NEVER sand or scrape the reed in the other direction. Do not try to sand the base of the reed. Keep in mind that it is not possible to return a reed for exchange once it has been altered in any way."

This being said, many of the methods described above will have a softening effect on the reed to varying degrees, but know that if a reed has been modified we cannot take it back for an exchange.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts

"Sanding, scraping and clipping of reeds is discouraged. Clipping the reed with a conventional reed clipper is likely to cause tip damage. If necessary, the reeds can be scraped with a sharp blade held perpendicular to the reed. They should be scraped from the top of the vamp towards the tip. Fine sandpaper may also be used in the same way. NEVER sand or scrape the reed in the other direction. Do not try to sand the base of the reed. Keep in mind that it is not possible to return a reed for exchange once it has been altered in any way."

This being said, many of the methods described above will have a softening effect on the reed to varying degrees, but know that if a reed has been modified we cannot take it back for an exchange.
I had one that was too stiff - it sat in a box for about a year. I hated it. One day I was in a pinch for a usable reed - By luck I tried scraping it as you describe with a sheep's foot blade. Three months later I was still using it. I've been playing them ever since. It's one less thing to worry about, and one less excuse for poor playing.

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,307 Posts

That's understandable. I do not know any reed company that will exchange for modified reeds. As a matter of fact, your exchange program is the exception to the norm.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
That is completely understandable, the reed in question was purchased quit some time ago I thought that I might get use to it, it was playable just not quit to my taste/liking I think that it was pretty much past your return policy time limit also so when I saw the question regarding sanding I thought I'd give it a try as it turned out the reed plays wonderfully, I do have a couple of other Legere reeds that were purchased in the correct size/strength for me, I am a fan of Legere reeds since I started using them 8 or 10 months ago I have tried a few other synthetics but I keep coming back to Legere reeds I have used both signatures and classics

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
I have a soprano 3.25 that I can’t use. Because I’m in Europe, I can’t exchange it. I was thinking about trying to sand it. Throwing it away would be like throwing $30 in the garbage, so it just sits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts