Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the idea of a good sounding and stable reed. We play equipment costing thousands but we are dependent on a piece of temperamental piece of cane for our sound. I initially tried a Legere Signature tenor 3 and a 23/4 with good results.
I have a few mouthpieces that require a softer reed, so I bought a Lg. Sig. 21/2.
To my suprprize this is harder than the other two and does not play as well as the others. On close inspection I saw great differences in that it has a rougher surface.
I read somewhere that Legere changed the Sig. reeds at some time. Can someone who's be using Legeres for a long time, please tell me which one of the two shown in the attached picture is the new one, or is it just a case of the 21/2 reed been defective?

Attachments

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,874 Posts
I have several of the Signatures and 2 of the 2 1/2 strength and they look just like yours. One is more smooth while the latest I got has the coarser squiggly machine marks. I like my older smooth style better. It also appears that quality control has slipped with the newer production.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I'd like to respectfully point out that the visibilty of the machine marks may not be an indication of lesser quality. Also, the Signature and the Studio reeds use a different scale for hardness -- a Legere Studio 3 isn't the same as a Legere Signature 3.

·
1,874 Posts
Both of my 2 1/2 are Signatures and you can feel the machining on the newer reed while the older one was smooth from the beginning. Also, there were a lot more "stings" hanging off the sides of the newer Signature than the older Signature I have when I first got it. I also have 2 - 2 3/4 Signatures and they are similar to my older 2 1/2 Signature in their smoothness. It was just this latest Signature I purchased that exhibited a more "rough" finishing.

I will also say, I have no way of knowing which "style" is actually the latest production example. They were purchased from 3 different dealers across a 6 month time frame. It may very well be the "rougher" example is actually an earlier production run.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Koumou,
The reed on the bottom is from the newer runs.

Right after the Signature series was introduced, Legere updated the machining that they were using to improve upon the initial design and to add better consistency. The newest Signatures will look like the one on the bottom in your pic. If you play test two of the new ones of the same strength, you will find them to be much more consistent!

Smokey- those "strings" are polypropelene fibers. They don't hurt anything, but if you were so inclined, you can use a high grit sandpaper to rub the off.

The issue is that some dealers have less call for these and keep the products longer, so the batches get mixed.

The new and improved, award winning, Signature packaging will hit the market in the next couple of months! So telling which is new and which is old will be much easier!

·
Banned
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a shame. At the prices they sell , the least one would expect is consistency in the numbering.

So the bottom one is the new one, and it is to hard, which means I have to order a 2. Who is to tell me that the 2 I might order will be one of the new ones or old ones?

·
1,874 Posts
Koumou,
The reed on the bottom is from the newer runs.

The new and improved, award winning, Signature packaging will hit the market in the next couple of months! So telling which is new and which is old will be much easier!
Any sneak peak on what the new packaging will look like? Is there a way to purchase the latest offering directly from the factory to insure getting the latest design?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I'd like to respectfully point out that the visibilty of the machine marks may not be an indication of lesser quality. Also, the Signature and the Studio reeds use a different scale for hardness -- a Legere Studio 3 isn't the same as a Legere Signature 3.
This may be true but something has happened to their quality control. I've received a few Signature reeds recently that I couldn't play. Also, when the Signature alto reeds were introduced, I was switching between the Signature cut and the Studio cut and the strength was the same. Now the Studio cut is much harder. I will try them again, but for now I had to go back to cane. Vandoren V12s are running very consistent, at least the last few boxes I've used.

·
1,874 Posts
That is me as well. My older 2 1/2 Signature still plays great so I purchased another 2 1/2 Signature as a backup but it is nothing like my original 2 1/2 Signature even when it was new. If I have to tweak the Legeres or try them to find a good one in the same strength marking.... almost defeats the purpose of using a synthetic. You should be able to buy 6 Legeres of the same type and strength and they all play the same. At least that was one of the big selling points of synthetics was consistency.

But on the bright side, I do not mind tweaking a Legere to get it like I want. If it lasts for several months it is worth it for me.

·
Banned
492 Posts
I'm still waiting for Legere to send my Signature 2.0 replacement. I sent them my Studio Cut almost 2 weeks ago. My Dad even gave the nice lady who mans the phone his 16 Visa digits to cover the difference in cost between the Signature and the Studio Cut. Don't remember her name, but she sounded Asian I believe. Robko is correct,... the Signature #x.x will be softer than the same Studio Cut #x.x! I noticed on the Studio Cut I sent up to Canada, the tip didn't seem absolutely symmetrical. When loading my mpc, it always seemed a little higher on one side,... sorta like Gumby's hair cut!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Smokey- I am not sure if I can reveal look of the new packaging to you, by rest assured- you'll know it when you see it!!!
And as I said, if you go with a couple NEW reeds, you will see very few inconsistencies!! I've seen the strength tester they use and it's state of the art!

Ericpd- you should be aware that Legere is located in Ontario and shipping takes time. In addition, the operation is not automated, but manned by a small, determined staff! 2 weeks, okay, not unrealistic as I see it. But if you're worried, hit the website and call! I'm sure you've not been forgotten!

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
I ordered a Signature 2, 2-1/4, and 2-1/2 awhile back. The 2 felt about like an RJS 2M. It played okay, but was too soft for me. The 2-1/4 felt like an RJS 3S or 3M, but much stuffier. The 2-1/2 felt about like an RJS 3H, but significantly stuffier. Thinking I must have gotten some bad reeds, I ordered another 2-1/4 from another dealer. It played just like the first one. I spent about a hundred bucks on 4 reeds, one of which played okay but was too soft, and three of which were literally unplayable for me due to the stuffiness. Other people might like them, but they're definitely not for me.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
The 2 has potential, but I want something a little stiffer (not such a dramatic jump up in strength) and without the stuffiness I found in the 2-1/4s and 2-1/2 I tried. Is it worth gambling another $25 on a "new and improved" Signature?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Buck- Try the Signature in 2.25 or 2.50. These reeds have the clarity of a jazz cut cane, without the stuffiness of the ones you tried in the past. You will dig the immediate pop and ease on upper registers and clean lows.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
Buck- Try the Signature in 2.25 or 2.50. These reeds have the clarity of a jazz cut cane, without the stuffiness of the ones you tried in the past. You will dig the immediate pop and ease on upper registers and clean lows.
Is there a way to be sure you're getting a newer version? Maybe I should wait until the new packaging comes out to be sure?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,296 Posts
Is there a way to be sure you're getting a newer version? Maybe I should wait until the new packaging comes out to be sure?
Wwbw was out of stock for a while. It's safe to assume the new stock is ...er....new stock. I've had great success scraping Legeres with a flat blade. Too hard Legeres are not lost, just adjust them and are good to go for months...

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
That is me as well. My older 2 1/2 Signature still plays great so I purchased another 2 1/2 Signature as a backup but it is nothing like my original 2 1/2 Signature even when it was new. If I have to tweak the Legeres or try them to find a good one in the same strength marking.... almost defeats the purpose of using a synthetic. You should be able to buy 6 Legeres of the same type and strength and they all play the same. At least that was one of the big selling points of synthetics was consistency.

But on the bright side, I do not mind tweaking a Legere to get it like I want. If it lasts for several months it is worth it for me.
I've always adjusted them but the last couple I received I couldn't get to work with the usual adjustments.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Buck-
If you look at the pics from the OP, you will see tool marks that create a grain-like effect on the reed on the bottom of the pic. That's how the new ones look.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,296 Posts
I've got three new signature series Legeres arriving today or tomorrow from WWBW. They are the ones that are finally back in stock after a month or so of them being out. I still have an unused alto sig from about 5 months ago that I can compare to these if it helps In any way.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts