Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using a Legere signature synthetic with an STM tenor mp? Looking for more consistency without great loss in tone. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I tried them on an STM NY....a little buzzy for me but your results may vary.

·
Registered
55 Posts
This is my main setup: Legere Signature on an STM 7*. I love the fact that the Legeres brigthen up the sound a bit but I can keep the warmth of the Otto Link!

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
My favorite setup as well.
In my experience the Legere sounds its best in the lower register actually.

·
Registered
880 Posts
There seem to be two copies of this thread. Here's my post from the other one:

I have and I didn't like it. I tried Legere Signature 2.25's, 2.5's, and 2.75's with an STM 7* that I normally use with Red Box Java 2.5s. The Legere Signature 2.5 worked best, and I tried using it exclusively (i.e., no cane reeds) over about a month of daily practice.

I don't like the sound that I get with them, especially at the low end of the horn. On the other hand, the response is pretty even across the range of the horn, and altissimo was noticeably easier with them.

I really wanted to like them, for obvious reasons. Ultimately, however, they didn't do it for me and I went back to cane reeds.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
I use an Otto Link STM 6 with the Legere signature 2 or 2.25 also I have used and do use the Legere classic, I like them both

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
There seem to be two copies of this thread. Here's my post from the other one:

I have and I didn't like it. I tried Legere Signature 2.25's, 2.5's, and 2.75's with an STM 7* that I normally use with Red Box Java 2.5s. The Legere Signature 2.5 worked best, and I tried using it exclusively (i.e., no cane reeds) over about a month of daily practice.

I don't like the sound that I get with them, especially at the low end of the horn. On the other hand, the response is pretty even across the range of the horn, and altissimo was noticeably easier with them.

I really wanted to like them, for obvious reasons. Ultimately, however, they didn't do it for me and I went back to cane reeds.
Thanks for your post...I was almost going to buy several of these Legere reeds, but not now!...I use java red 2.5 on a #8 florida link, and will just stay with those.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,866 Posts
Has anyone tried using a Legere signature synthetic with an STM tenor mp? Looking for more consistency without great loss in tone. Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!
I play a Link + Legere Signatures. Sounds great and plays great. Response is good in all registers, and there is no loss in tone compared to natural cane.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Thanks for your post...I was almost going to buy several of these Legere reeds, but not now!...I use java red 2.5 on a #8 florida link, and will just stay with those.
HeyJoe, I encourage you to try them out, make an opinion for yourself. There are many, myself included, that really enjoy playing the Legere Signature. The good news is you don't need to order several, they all sound the same. You just need to find the right strength that works for you. Legere offers a free exchange by mail if you buy the wrong strength first time around.

·
Registered
880 Posts
HeyJoe, I encourage you to try them out, make an opinion for yourself. There are many, myself included, that really enjoy playing the Legere Signature. The good news is you don't need to order several, they all sound the same. You just need to find the right strength that works for you. Legere offers a free exchange by mail if you buy the wrong strength first time around.
I actually agree that you should try them out yourself, just don't go crazy. If you try one in roughly the correct size and it doesn't work for you, you probably won't like them.

I've actually spent quite a bit of money over several instruments trying to get them to work for me. I bought 3 for tenor (and exchanged 1), 2 for soprano (and exchanged 1), 1 for alto (that I exchanged for a different strength), and 4 for clarinet. That's several hundred dollars worth of reeds.

I found that they work quite differently on different instruments and with different mouthpieces. On clarinet, for example, I love them. They play much better than any cane reeds that I've tried and I was able to feel and hear this right away. On alto, I think they work just fine, not better than cane, but not worse either, just different. On tenor, I wouldn't use them for anything but practicing, and on soprano, I can't make them work at all.

My point is just that you probably shouldn't spend too much time and money (like I did) trying to make them work. If they work for you, you'll probably know it right away.

Another important consideration is that, while you can exchange them (up to 5 reeds per year), it's not exactly free (you have to pay to ship them to Canada), and the turnaround is rather long (~2 weeks), which makes it difficult to compare different strengths if you only buy one at a time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. I think it's awesome that a site like this exists where people can share their experiences. My first Legere reed arrived in the mail yesterday, and I absolutely loved it. On my STM, the reed projected well while keeping that warmth and evenness that I love about my Link. I didn't need to prepare the reed in any way, and that was hugely important to me. The reed was ready to go straight out of the box. On my classical mouthpiece, a Yanagisawa hard rubber 5, the reed is smooth and dark. Played in my first ensemble rehearsal on the reed last night, and the reed kept a nice balanced tone throughout the horn's range. I know that everybody's opinions are different, but I'd highly encourage people to bite the bullet and try out a Legere reed. Thank you all again for your kind replies.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I'd like to thank everyone for their replies. I think it's awesome that a site like this exists where people can share their experiences. My first Legere reed arrived in the mail yesterday, and I absolutely loved it. On my STM, the reed projected well while keeping that warmth and evenness that I love about my Link. I didn't need to prepare the reed in any way, and that was hugely important to me. The reed was ready to go straight out of the box. On my classical mouthpiece, a Yanagisawa hard rubber 5, the reed is smooth and dark. Played in my first ensemble rehearsal on the reed last night, and the reed kept a nice balanced tone throughout the horn's range. I know that everybody's opinions are different, but I'd highly encourage people to bite the bullet and try out a Legere reed. Thank you all again for your kind replies.

1. I use Legere 2.5 on my STMs, both tenor and baritone and am VERY pleased with the results.

2. I found them to run a little stiff compared to most natural reeds, and step down 1/4 or 1/2.

3. Studio and regular cut both work fine.

4. Which Legere in which strength did you choose?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
2. I found them to run a little stiff compared to most natural reeds, and step down 1/4 or 1/2.
That’s a good guidance. In my experience, the equivalent to a Rigotti 3M would be a 2.75 on Legere Signature.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I find that legere on bigger chamber mouthpieces feel and sound funny. In my experience, they work great on higher baffle metal mouthpieces

1 - 19 of 19 Posts