Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

So for marching band, I've been using Vandoren Java 3.5s with my plastic Brilhart Ebolin 4*. I'm happy with the Java's performance, but the weather is messing with my reed, and people keep breaking it (by hitting it, etc). A senior advised I get a synthetic or plastic reed, so I decided I'll go with the Legere Studio Cut.

I could not find a strength chart however, so I don't know what strength of the Legere I should get. None of the stores within a 25 mile radius sell it, so I'll have to buy it on Woodwinds & Brasswinds.

Anyone with experience?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Try the Classic Series first. Your director would not appreciate the aggressive tone of the Studio Cut within the ensemble. As an WW instructor, I make that same recommendation to our kids! Go with a 3 or a 3.25 if you are used to a 3.5 Java. If you feel you must go with the Studio go for the 3.25.

For more info, see my Legere review under the Reeds board.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,875 Posts
I certainly agree that would want a softer grade Legere, but I would recommend the Studio not the Classic. mainly because I didn't like the Classic, the Studio to me feels and sounds more like a conventional reed.

I used to use Vandoren 2.5, and now use Legere Studio 2.

Sadly it's still a gamble when trying a new make and hoping to get the strength right, at least Legere will exchange the reed if you find the strength is wrong.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Pete,
Personally I agree about the assessment of the Classic, but that's coming from my own playing perspective.
For a student, most Directors prefer not to have one or two players sticking out of the ensemble. The Studio is a soloist reed, IMO.

Now for your Jazz ensemble, Llamas, rock the Studio or Signature Series. Can't go wrong!

·
Registered
439 Posts
I have respect for the work that is put into a proper band. Having instructed one since '03, I know how much work is put in by the kids and the teachers. But, then again, I don't much care that you don't call it an ensemble. :mrgreen:

Those who teach know what I mean.

·
28,875 Posts
Pete,
Personally I agree about the assessment of the Classic, but that's coming from my own playing perspective.
For a student, most Directors prefer not to have one or two players sticking out of the ensemble. The Studio is a soloist reed, IMO.

Now for your Jazz ensemble, Llamas, rock the Studio or Signature Series. Can't go wrong!
I agree about a band director wanting a blend, but I don't find that one of those does stick out.

·
Registered
439 Posts
We'd had that issue in the past with trying to balance the section and having the "jazz cut" reeds punching through. Now, of course, it's more of an issue indoors in a concert setting, but the directors ive worked with are sticklers for continuity, you know? They want the marching students to sound the same when the judges come past the section. I've found that when they are using the same reeds and are producing a similar tone, they tend to listen to each other and work harder to adjust their tuning, etc a bit better. Of course, that's just an observation!

By the way- Pete, your site is very nice! I really dig the friendly layout!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Legere Studios runs harder than most brands. I usually used to play Plasticover 3.0 on alto, I purchased a legere studio 2.5 and I found it much harder than my Plasticover. I would go with a 2.0 if you are playing now Javas 3.5
Bari Star M could do the job also

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is the difference between the Studio and the classic that significant? I think I'll go for the Studio, just because I know I'll be using Vandorens for concert band (unless the Legere classic is like, awesome), and it would be nice to have a jazz reed instead of buying Javas all the time.
And how does it compare to Plasticover or Bari?

·
Registered
439 Posts
It's not as harsh or buzzy as either of the Bari or Plasticovers. It's got a more consistant and warm sound and fits well within the group. But hey, to each his own, little bro. If a sound with more pop is what you're looking for, definitely go with the Studio!!! They definately rock! Legere in general is the way to go!

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
As Pete said, the Studio Cut felt more like a normal reed. I like the Classic Legere for clarinet but they didn't blow right for me on sax. But the Studio does give an odd timbre on a mouthpiece that has a bit of brightness to it, so I can only recommend it in a concert band if you play on a dark mouthpiece, for example an S80. It may be ok with a medium chamber Meyer.

I find the Bari to be brighter and more "synthetic" sounding--less warmth with a strange timbre. In between is the Fibracell. Fibracells blow even more like a natural saxophone reed but produce an edgier sound with more overtones so won't blend as well.

For me, Plasticovers are not as different from cane than the purely synthetic reeds are.

You'll see I said concert band rather than marching band! I understand the tonal concept of a concert band or wind ensemble better than that of a marching band.

Synthetic reeds can be difficult to play pp or softer; sometimes the sound dies unexpectedly as you taper off. Probably not so big a deal when marching but would be a problem in a concert band.

·
28,875 Posts
My apologies folks, I meant to say signature, not studio cut. I made this mistake also on another thread, need a holiday.

BTW chknbon, an ensemble is basically any group of players, so a marching band would definitely come under that definition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Legere Studios runs harder than most brands.
Hmmm .... I've found the opposite to be the case and I think that green box Javas and Studio Cut Legeres are very similar in strength. This doesn't mean that Durand is wrong; if anything it suggests that it's best to try these things out in real life and not base too much on (even sincerely) posted opinions.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Just like any Reed selection, there are slight strength differences between reeds of the same strength, in terms of their being different in flex of thousands of an inch, even with Legere. They do the best they can to ensure a tighter margine than any other synthetic company; but trying 1 reed of 1 strength won't do it for the passion of judgment on whether or not the reeds are darker or brighter.

Simply put, where MM found the Bari reeds to be brighter, I found that in a batch of 4 or 5 of the same size, one may play slightly brighter than the rest, but not so much that I would not use it.

But let's not forget that, be it "Classic" or "Signature" or"Studio", this IS a synthetic reed company! They are going to respond slightly different from cane, better even in certain cases. To pit the Legere line against standard cane reeds is difficult because it's not the same animal. To pit Legere against other synthetics, however, I see Legere as coming out ahead in sounding more like a warmed up cane reed, regardless of the cut.

And Shotgun is absolutely correct- the player should do this comparison for themselves. We can jaw here all we want, but the differences are only evident when you put the horn to your face.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks guys! I haven't read their policy yet, but hopefully Woodwinds & Brasswinds allowed you to return synthetic reeds...
Actually, you'd need to contact Legere for all returns of reeds. Plus, WWBW will be closed as of Dec. So... If you were planning on buying them there, I'd get on it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts