Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the folks at Legere are very nice and are really trying to produce a good product.
I had my wife mail a reed to Legere for different strength - IT COST $10 TO SEND IT TO CANADA !! (customs ??)
My wife should have called me and told me this stupid cost.
The reed cost about $31 at WWBW and cost $10 to send back - so now (if I ever get the new reed)
I will have spent $41 for 1 reed !! (haha)
I should have kept the reed and just ordered another one from WWBW !!
Also it seems to take FOREVER to get the new reed back - I still haven't received it !!
Just sharing my experience - if someone is thinking of sending their Legere for replacement
Maybe you will have better luck than me

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
How did you ship it? I sent them back a few times in a regular sized envelope recently, taped to my letter and postage was under two bucks. Did you follow their instructions, write on the envelope "used woodwind reed value $1" or whatever?

I buy my Legeres when WWBW or Weiner Music has a 15% sale. Hint, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's are coming. The replacement reed does takes a little while to arrive, yeah.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I also went to the post office to return a Legere reed, and postage to Canada was over $10- and I followed Legere's instructions exactly.
I decided it wasn't worth the shipping cost and I kept the reed. I tried to scrape/sand it a little, results were not very good.
The Legere strengths seem to be all over the place and very inconsistent.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
are you really saying that putting this into an envelope from the us to canada costs $10?

incredible!

I did receive a replacement from Legere and was easy to get. I guess that mileage varies quite a lot. The shop refused to replace and the company came out trumps.

The strength of reeds is not all over the place but it has its quirks like everything you need to find the right one and finding the right one isn’t easy if you don’t have a shop that can let you try the reeds (and sanitize them).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,904 Posts
I have had some success in slightly softening a Legere Classic by dipping the tip into boiled water for a few seconds.
This was a tip I got from a member here on SOTW.
I haven’t tried it with the signatures but I imagine they would react similarly.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
I dont know how the OP shipped their reed, but when I did this in May it cost less than $1.50 using regular USPS service.

·
38,811 Posts
I couldn’t pay that much sending a registered mail envelope with return signature

·
3,310 Posts
I dont see the need for registered mail with signature, its a reed, not a mkVI.

The instructions I was given were "you can simply tape your reed to this email and put everything into a standard letter envelope with stamps for postage, which will be $1.15 worth, or, 3 Forever stamps."

·
38,811 Posts
precisely, the only thing is that sometimes you want a paper trail which cannot be left by an ordinary stamped envelope but I trust legere to trust me that I’ve sent the envelope

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sent it Regular Snail Mail, with the message "reed $1 value" etc etc - $10 charge !!
Maybe it's because my wife put it in a little padded manila envelope at the post office ??
Maybe we didn't follow the instructions exactly about the envelope

·
38,811 Posts
it shouldn’t make any difference unless you sent it as parcel or registered post

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it shouldn’t make any difference unless you sent it as parcel or registered post
No - not parcel or registered -
my RMA letter was enclosed with the reed in the envelope and $1 message on the envelope.
I doubt if I'll be doing the Legere replacement again

·
38,811 Posts
Look postal things are weird but I’ve sent (even after a recent increase) Yesterday a padded envelope to the States for €1,30.

Your envelope must have had something “ special” of some sort otherwise it would have never costed $10

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
I have had some success in slightly softening a Legere Classic by dipping the tip into boiled water for a few seconds.
Just put the tip in? :twisted:

·
Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
1,306 Posts
Just put the tip in? :twisted:
I immerse the reed in boiling water just past the vamp. I immerse it about as quickly in and out as possible, i.e. less than 1 second. If you then play it right away, it will be slightly softer than if you let the reed sit and return to room temperature. Once fully cooled, if it is still too stiff, I repeat the above process as many times as needed until I get the response I want. I do it this way, because if you immerse the reed too long, it can get too soft, and then you are done. I think I was the member that B flat was referring to above.

One piece of advice: If the water is truly brought to a boil, you can sometime get a slight "explosion" of bubbles when you dunk the reed, so make sure you don't drop the reed in surprise. (Didn't happen to me, but I could see this happening.) This doesn't always seem to happen, and may just depend on the microscopic surface roughness of the individual reed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I think "I'm done". I put the reed in too long. Only a few seconds, but still it's toast now. Way to soft and certain notes are horrible. In the higher register it closes up on me.
So it's indeed good advice to do it a second at a time and play test before repeating the process.

·
3,310 Posts
That kind of makes sense given that these are made from some sort of oriented polypropylene. The heat will allow some of the aligned polymer chains to scramble their orientation a little, which will in theory make the material less stiff. I would suspect that because it’s thinner the tip will be more affected than the vamp.
I still think it makes more sense to just return it to Legere for a swap (assuming you pay $1.30 not $10!) but I guess you could do that after trying this anyway if it didn’t work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts