Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one, which I do like, especially for doubling as I don't have to worry about the reed drying out if it sits on the stand too long between numbers (I use one on my bass clarinet for the same reason).

However,...at $150 a pop...I only have the 1. My question is how long will it last? I only play it on shows, so maybe two weeks playing time so far.

Anyone have experience with them and expectations on use time?

The bass clarinet reeds last a couple of months and then...bang...they are dead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi there, we're finding they last about as long as the single reeds, between a couple months or so and longer. Some of our double reed endorsing artists have said that with proper rotation, they can last about 6 or so. It depends on their use and their care. Rotating them for sure will extend their life. Let me know how they've worked out!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have used them and they are very good. But again it depends on the artist how he handles the reeds. He can make it last longer if he handles well. If the reeds are handled in a rough manner, then you cannot expect wonders.
We are distributor of Argendonax reeds and we sell handmade reeds. We try to make them so such that they can last longer and fit for orchestral setting. Many great musicians use our reeds. You can find about us here: https://www.argendonax.com/product/e-horn-pro-reeds

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I played the bassoon reed for several years (but not on a regular base) until it lost tension. Didn't try the oboe reed, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts