Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get occasional news updates from Legere by email, and this announcement may be of interest to players here:

At the end of 2019, Légère is discontinuing the production of 1/4 strength increments in Classic and Studio Cut reeds for both clarinet and saxophone.

This change will allow expansion of the European Cut clarinet reed family, as well as a brand new saxophone cut. As prototype testing progresses, it is becoming clear that nearly all players prefer the new reeds to the Classic and the Studio Cut models.

1/4 strengths remain available in all Signature reeds (excluding the sopranino) and German Cut Classic for Bb clarinet.

Manufacturing of the discontinued strengths will cease December 20, 2019; however, distributors will be able to purchase discontinued strengths until inventories are depleted.

Complete list of discontinued strengths:

Classic for Saxophone & Clarinet: 1.75, 2.25, 2.75, 3.25, 3.75, 4.25, 4.75
Studio Cut for Saxophone: 1.75, 2.25, 2.75, 3.25

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have always found the Signatures to play and sound better, so this doesn't affect me. Everyone else I've come across who uses Legeres has also used some kind of Signature, so I guess this move makes sense. I have heard rumours (on here) about the possibility of a Euro cut for the saxophone, looks like they're going ahead and doing it.

·
Registered
718 Posts
The signature aren’t quite right for me, but tantalizing close. I’m looking forward to the new saxophone cut coming out and giving it a try.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,492 Posts
I love the signature reeds on clarinet. I use one on alto for teaching purposes, but I don't really love the sound. It's almost right, but (at least for me!) it has a harshness to the sound that I just can't get rid of. I'm very much looking forward to playing the new cut of sax reed!!!!

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
This kinda sucks for me. I actually really like the Classic cut with my Raschers and Caravans, and use the quarter strengths regularly. Gonna have to stock up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Studio Cut tenor reeds work very well on some bass clarinet setups.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Anyone else have trouble with Legere Signature not sealing on a tenor metal MP table? Fails the suck-pop test. OK on hard rubber. I'm fairly confident the table is laser-flat: brand-new and unimpeachable artisan. Using a Selmer 404 lig.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
I give up.....I spent hundreds on trying and finding the "right" Legeres. Always close, but maybe "could be better" ...anyway more time wasted and money spent on these reeds than I care to remember.

Also I am totally tired of a reed that becomes virtually invisible against every mpc tip. What a PITA

Then ya got the cheesy sticker that gums up and fall off so I don't know what size reed I'm playing..

Oh yeah never mind constant changing to new and "improved" reed types and now discontinuing of sizes..I liked a certain 1/4 strength..screw it, I've switched to Hartmanns lately, wish I'd f'ing done it sooner..:cry:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
I give up.....I spent hundreds on trying and finding the "right" Legeres. Always close, but maybe "could be better" ...anyway more time wasted and money spent on these reeds than I care to remember.

Also I am totally tired of a reed that becomes virtually invisible against every mpc tip. What a PITA

Then ya got the cheesy sticker that gums up and fall off so I don't know what size reed I'm playing..

Oh yeah never mind constant changing to new and "improved" reed types and now discontinuing of sizes..I liked a certain 1/4 strength..screw it, I've switched to Hartmanns lately, wish I'd f'ing done it sooner..:cry:
I totally agree… I stopped using them when they raised the price from around 10 bucks each many years ago.
Seriously… 10 bucks a reed 😱that seems like a nice profit margin? I wish the rest of the folks here would’ve done the same😜 maybe prices would’ve gone back down again… Oh well…🤷*♂

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I still play the Legere Signatures almost exclusively on tenor. Is a really great cane reed better? Sure. But not by much, and the consistency and reliability are far more important to me. They play and sound great and I know the horn will always play and sound the same every time I pick it up.

Never had a problem aligning the tip of the reed to the mouthpiece tip rail. Like ever. Maybe I have really good eyesight?

Dialing in the right strength is critical with these in my experience. Once I did, never looked back. I would estimate they've saved me hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars I would have spent on cane.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I was afraid they'd stop the 1/4 increments on Signatures, whew.

I love Signature reeds, never going back to cane. It's like 90% there of a great cane reed, but consistent and lasting much longer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,767 Posts
I like the Signatures more than any cane reed for tenor. On the clarinet, I only like the European cut, but I like it more than any cane reed these days. They are so clean and clear, with lots of color in the sound. Totally different from every other Legere clarinet reed, which I found to be too dark and bland.

I am still using the Vandoren blue box on bass clarinet and I am really hoping that the rumored European cut bass clarinet reed has a similar effect for me as the Bb clarinet reeds.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
I must amend my earlier comments, I just re-visited an old "Classic" model which had not performed on any of my tenor mpcs..I find the classic on my Vigilante is strikingly good. I have not researched the correct Studio model either. So I guess I have returned to more Legere possibilities.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
Theres another model they are releasing for saxophone at some point in the near future. Currently testing it last I heard. Might be a darker variant of the Signature? Who knows. Still love the Signatures on tenor.

- Saxaholic

1 - 20 of 22 Posts