Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new convert to the Legere's, I have a few for different bari mouthpieces.

My question is about storing them in the case. I have a few LaVoz reed holders but as they get older, it seems that the tip can push further in and out the end, thus not being protected.

Went onto WWBW online today to see what was out there, and was sad to see that most commercial productions are for tenor and smaller.

Now could I just find a few of my old plastic disposable reed holders and keep them in there, sure, but was looking for something nicer and was wondering what everybody else was keeping their legere bari's in. Kinda don't want to just leave them on the mpc.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,420 Posts
A reed guard is best but a 'slimmer' baritone reed might stick out as you found in a tenor reed guard. I have used some Fibracells that come in a nice little 'jewel case', and that's what I keep my synthetic reeds in. The top has a silicone rubber drop in it to press down on the reed when the box is closed, keeping it straight and secure. It might be worth it to buy a Fibracell just to get the box.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,899 Posts
No storage case is a big problem for the Legeres. I keep mine in Fibracell and Bari * reed cases.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,917 Posts
No storage case is a big problem for the Legeres. I keep mine in Fibracell and Bari * reed cases.
I just keep mine in a plastic bag. Although some I keep in a case with a mirror.

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya - thats what I got, though some of mine are 30 years old and pretty worn, which is how I know when you least expect it, the tips can go through the end (ask me how I know). The newer ones I have are't that worn yet, but just wanted to see whats out there.

I may have to do what Pete suggested, but I'll probably go further and make a little wooden box the glass will fit in, then cushion the top to hold them in place.

This is what I use. The larger size fits tenor, b clar, and bari reeds. I have several I bought years ago when they were in bright colors instead of black.

View attachment 241782

·
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I may have found my solution. A former student of mine from WAY back (TMadness1013) saw this post and sent me this link: http://www.KenKaseMusic.com . I ordered one of the 3 reed holders for baritone. Pricey, but I think it will fit the need and I don't have to worry about making it. Thanks SEAN!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use a D'addario reed case to store my baritone reeds (Legere and cane). It works well and keeps them organized.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
I'm a heathen, and leave mine on the mouthpiece. I may regret that next time I get a bari call, but it's been at least a year since I touched the horn!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,597 Posts
I leave mine on the mouthpiece as well. Take it off and wash it and the mouthpiece with warm soapy water regularly though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts